What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Heli Setup & Thank You

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
A few months ago I won a free H. pulchella from Butch, and then a H. neblineae from HeliGoddess, and also got a ton of free live sphagnum from GrowinOld. I wanted to say a huge thanks to everybody for helping me out, and wanted to put up some photos of my simple setup because some of my plants are starting to look really nice (in my opinion of course!) The setup is a 10 gallon aquarium, with about an inch of river stones on the bottom, then an inch of peat moss, followed by several inches of live spahgnum. The Helis are growing in a mixture of live sphagnum and perlite. I'm only using some saran wrap to keep humidity elevated, but not at 100% coverage of the opening. So without any more waiting, here's some photos!

Whole Setup

setup.jpg

H. neblineae (Thanks HeliGoddess!!)

neblineae.jpg

H. neblineae and H. pulchella

DSC02547.jpg

H. heterodoxa x minor and H. minor

DSC02546.jpg

Enjoy!!

Beautiful plants DJ! I've always loved helis but have been hesitant to buy them because I thought i'd kill them:p. Are they difficult to keep happy? I have a minor but it hasnt grown much in my care.

Very, very nice! I can grow HL neps like villosa and rajah no problems but ive killed every heli Ive tried. What are conditions like in there?

It looks wonderful! If you throw in some Nepenthes seedlings they'll sprout like weeds :D .

Looks great! They look happy in thier environment. Great job! I love your choice for the substrate. What does the humidity look like in the tank?

Davy,

Loooking good.... the neblinae looks very familiar ;-)

Personally, I think it is time to acquire more plants! :-D

Nice Job Davy!
:water:

Personally, I think it is time to acquire more plants! :-D

Well by the looks of it I am quite out of space for now. I just upgraded to this setup in order to fit the H. heterodoxa x minor. Besides, anything more interesting can only come from Wistuba, and his shipping costs are a bear.

To answer everybody's questions; conditions are consistently around mid 70's during the day. I haven't stuck a hygrometer in there, so I'm not quite sure where the humidity is. The sphagnum isn't really getting black on the tips, and my nectar spoons have been increasing in size, so I'm guessing it's in the proper ballpark. It'll be a different ballgame in the summer, with the outside temp rising and all. We run the A/C pretty much all summer long here, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm glad to see people enjoy the photos!

Back