What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For a number of years I've only grown HG Cephs. However, in the past two years (or so), I decided to add some genetic diversity and acquired several other plants. Since most of these plants are in the same conditions (under lights in back basement room - temps currently in low 50's*F and are flowering size (or close)) - I thought it might be interesting to try to compare a few of them.

First up is the "German Giant" - not flowering size and also not in the back basement room. It's still in the basement - just not in the colder back room. So far, an unremarkable clone ...
Ceph-GermanGiant022612RS.jpg

Next up is one of my favorites - I received it labeled as "Squat". It has proven to be a very vigorous grower with some interesting coloration (that I'm not really able to capture in a camera). The 1st pic shows the clump of pitchers with the top two having nectar covering their peristomes** & the second shows the general shape of a pitcher:
Ceph-Squatwnectar022612RS.jpg

Ceph-Squat022612RS.jpg

This next pic is the primary reason for my post. When I wander into that cramped nasty little room every week to water these guys, I thought I noticed a significant difference in the size & shape of the teeth of the peristome (there's also multiple other differences - like under-lid design, mid-rib width, colors, etc - but the differences in the teeth grabbed me). The pitchers are a bit different in size but not by a lot. I'll be interested to see if these differences remain ... ("Squat" on left & 'Hummer's Giant' on right):
Ceph-SquatvsHGpitchers022612RS.jpg

Here's a comparison of a "Czech Giant" (left) and a full grown seedling from a selfed HG Ceph. These plants were potted into the same size pot with the same media mix over a year ago and have remained side-by-side since (outside for summer & winter under lights). In addition to the obvious color differences, the Czech plant has kept all it's pitchers while the seedgrown plant has done the 'winter thing' and mostly moved to non-carnivorous leaves. The SG plant has also retained the robust peristome teeth and wide mid-rib from it's parents (while the Czech plant has neither).
Ceph-CzechGiantvsHGseedling022612RS.jpg

For anyone who is doubting the viability of the Ceph seeds in the ICPS seedbank this fall - pic from yesterday (as mentioned in another thread, this pot will likely find it's way into the NASC auction):
CephHGseedlings022512RS.jpg

** I'm assuming that I can call the pitcher-rim area on a Ceph - the peristome - like a Nep. If not, you still get the idea ... ???

Last edited:
This is exactly the kind of thread I was looking for yesterday. Stating the obvious, it appears the HG is really in a class of its own with those extra long teeth.

Also, great job on the germination!

Wow! Amazing cephs! I love the squat form

Great photos. I am hopeing to get two more varities of ceph sometime in the next two weeks and I hope that they will someday look as nice as yours. How old are the seedlings in the last photo?

How old are the seedlings in the last photo?
I planted fresh seeds on 09.27.11 & had the first germination on 11.19.11. Once the first seed sprouted, there has been a steady stream of new arrivals - as you can mostly tell from the pic - there are seedlings in various states of progress.

Ron,

What components and proportions are you using for your ceph mix? Is it different for seeds?
I see peat, coarse sand, turface, orchid bark-maybe.

Thank you!

What components and proportions are you using for your ceph mix?
I'm not sure .... Years ago, I tested Cephs in different media mixes. The only one I found that was somewhat different was pure LFS (had slower growth - probably due to fewer nutrients). Even 100% peat didn't matter. Now i try to provide a reasonable mix that won't compact a lot as it ages. I just went into the basement & checked a few pots - one of my pots was labeled 3:1:1:1 peat:live LFS:turface:sand & another was 2:1:1:1:1 peat:live LFS:turface: perlite:sand (both also had some chopped cypress bark mixed in). I also dose with some Tricho every month or two (all plants of mine in general). Recently, I've been quite casual when making mixes - using what I have on hand and shooting for a reasonably-airy peat-based mix. Sometimes I'll add a bit of orchid bark but peat, live LFS, turface are mainstays and usually sand & perlite are included also. When I remember, I also chop up some cypress bark & mix it in.

What I found to be potentially quite important is the watering regimen along with the specific media mix & overall conditions. Last fall I received a small really red Ceph (prize for placing 2nd or 3rd in a photo contest). The plant came through shipping fully potted & looking fantastic. Within a month or two - it was dead & I was devastated (1st Ceph I've killed in over 10 years). Since it was so perfect, I didn't repot into a mix with which I was familiar. When I dug it out later, I found that the mix was very different from mine - it was a peat and fine sand mix. This mix probably worked great for the original grower & his conditions - but apparently not for me. Since I figured that the cause of the plant dying was mine & not his, I didn't ask for a replacement but instead requested a trade for another plant. He shipped me a new plant (same clone but smaller than original). I immediately repotted it into a mix that was familiar to me and the plant has grown like a weed since day 1.

Is it different for seeds?
No. I figure that if a mix is good for growing a Ceph, it's probably decent for hatching them also. In addition, it keeps me from being forced to repot due to media concerns (although the number of seeds I planted in that little pot was just stupid). :crazy:

Interesting thread, and great plants :)

Great comparisons.

Was the 'HG' with the huge peristome on the pitchers, were they against a tank wall or other obstruction?

About the media, I thought about posting a picture of my 'HG' yesterday after seeing a few ceph pics recently. I think I can find a before picture. My media was very dense and held a lot of water. The plant sulked and hardly grew. Now that it's in a much better draining soil, it's taken off like a weed..... Might have to get the camera out.

very nice photos Ron! i think i have a particular liking to the squat form. :)

Nice cephs! Love the squat form and especially the German Giant!

They all look nice, but Hummer's Giant is insane!!! I definitely want one now.

Was the 'HG' with the huge peristome on the pitchers, were they against a tank wall or other obstruction?
No - just sitting on the edge of the pot.

About the media, I thought about posting a picture of my 'HG' yesterday after seeing a few ceph pics recently. I think I can find a before picture. My media was very dense and held a lot of water. The plant sulked and hardly grew. Now that it's in a much better draining soil, it's taken off like a weed..... Might have to get the camera out.
Soooo - dig out the camera & show us what you're talking about --- :-O

Last edited:
Very, very nice Ron..... exceptional looking cephs, love the long toothed variant.

Av

Back