User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 46

Thread: Growing Sarrs from seed (First Attempt!)

  1. #9
    Natalie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some questions to all you California sarr growers - what's the advantage to growing them under lights rather than outside in the sun? Is it to prevent critters from getting into them? How to the plants get prey indoors? I'm just wondering since it seems that most of California would have an ideal climate for growing them outdoors except for the extreme low humidity in the summer.

  2. #10
    Fred P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Some questions to all you California sarr growers - what's the advantage to growing them under lights rather than outside in the sun? Is it to prevent critters from getting into them? How to the plants get prey indoors? I'm just wondering since it seems that most of California would have an ideal climate for growing them outdoors except for the extreme low humidity in the summer.
    By growing them indoors, you can control everything....photo period, water, humidity and temperature. But most of all with sarrs, you control the dormancy (or lack thereof). By skipping dormancy the first year or two, you can double and triple the size of the plant by growing under lights. Then, by bringing them outside at the right time in spring, they never miss a beat. As far as "prey", they really don't need it early on especially since I fertilize mine on a regular basis. It makes a huge difference.

  3. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boone, Iowa USA
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Fred P i was just wondering how long you keep the lights on and also once the seeds germinate and begin growing how much water do you keep in the trays or how wet do you keep the medium.

    Thanks

    Chad

  4. #12
    sss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago Burbs
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow fred those grew fast, I thought seedlings grew slow. Also splitting those into their own pots is gonna be a pain in the *** lol.

  5. #13
    PolishJeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    **UPDATE**UPDATE**

    We have germination! Here is the breakdown of the timeline:

    Strat Dates: 1/29 - 2/26
    Seeds sown: 2/26
    First Germination: 3/11

    What we see today:

    IMG_0340

    My seeds have come so far since January. Very proud of them

  6. #14
    punpkinface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!

  7. #15
    heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts
    639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw they are so cute! Congrats on the babies!!

  8. #16
    Fred P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by denverone View Post
    Hey Fred P i was just wondering how long you keep the lights on and also once the seeds germinate and begin growing how much water do you keep in the trays or how wet do you keep the medium.

    Thanks

    Chad
    I use an 18/6 photoperiod 12 months out of the year. Once the seedlings begin growing, I leave just enough water to cover the bottom of the tray about 1/4 inch or so.

    ---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by sss View Post
    Also splitting those into their own pots is gonna be a pain in the *** lol.
    Splitting and transplanting them is not as bad as you think. I have a technique that moves it along pretty fast. You just need a little patience.

    ---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by PolishJeff View Post
    **UPDATE**UPDATE**

    We have germination! Here is the breakdown of the timeline:

    Strat Dates: 1/29 - 2/26
    Seeds sown: 2/26
    First Germination: 3/11

    My seeds have come so far since January. Very proud of them
    Nice going Jeff!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •