User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing Sarrs from seed (First Attempt!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growing Sarrs from seed (First Attempt!)

Hey All,

Here is my first attempt at growing sarrs from seeds. I've been doing well with purchasing/trading seedlings and growing them into big time adults that I thought I'd give seed a try. Nothing as impressive as Fred P or Brokken's production, but I was inspired enough to give it a go!

These will be SXM18 S.x Moorei -- Wilkerson's white knight x SL61 S. leucophylla -- red stripe throat. Got a good deal from ebay a few months ago.

These went through 4.5 weeks of stratification in the fridge wrapped in damp paper towels. They were sown yesterday (2/26) and now reside in the bedroom under lamps.

I'd like to keep these as an ongoing thread and provide updates for everyone. Enjoy!

IMG_0238

IMG_0239

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jeff,

Nice setup and thanks for the compliment. One observation; when using sphagnum for a media, I would make sure the cell is full and that it is packed in there fairly snug before you place your seeds on them. You want to have a firm surface for the roots to plunge into. Sphagnum, over time, compacts/shrinks on its own and sarrs have deep roots so the more media you can start with the better. When I start a tray of seeds like these, my cells are bulging near the top with firmed sphagnum.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's far more elaborate than what I do!

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice setup! My Leah Wilkerson seeds just started to germinate so hopefully yours do too. Once spring comes along, I believe that putting the remaining ungerminated seeds outside should get the rest of the stragglers to germinate .

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fred - Thanks for the advice, I'll take all I can get. I have one more batch of seeds arriving in the mail any day now. I just couldn't wait to get these under the lights!

JimScott - What do you do? Have a thread we could see?

Lance - Sounds good to me! Good luck with your Leahs, maybe a trade in the future?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's one pic about 30 days after sowing so the sphagnum already has had a chance to settle in but you can see what I mean about full cells.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, Fred. That looks like an amazing strike rate. I'm hoping at least half of mine will sprout!

I can see what you mean about full cells. The sphagnum in mine has already started to sink a little, and it's been less than a week. Not sure if this is a trade secret or faux pas, but what lighting do you have on your new seedlings? I keep the adults outside full time. I imagine the fresh growth could use a softer light?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I start all my seeds indoors under regular 48" 40 watt shop lights and they work just fine. No trade secret.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast