Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ceph pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OHH man, those cephs are looking amazing..

I've been trying to scour the web for some Ceph 'HG' seeds... Any idea where I can shnag me some?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Ron may have sent Cephalotus seeds to the ICPS seed bank so time back.

Remember seed grown plants from cultivars are not true cultivars. They are selfed and would need to label them as 'Hummer's Giant' F1 or is it "Hummer's Giant" F1. Not 100% sure but the F1 means it was grown from seed of the original cultivar.
    True cultivars are propagated by cuttings of the original plant so that the specific traits of the plant are not lost.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    [/COLOR]Also see that it's a selfed 'HG', which I thought it was a pure 'HG'.
    Sorry for confusion. The pitchers on the right in this photo are Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant' (left are "Squat")

The plant in the right pot in this pic is an adult Cephalotus grown from selfed HG seed (& left is "Czech Giant").

I stole your Typical vs HG comparison pic. Then I went into that nasty back basement room & snapped pics of the original pitcher (now in the middle) and another (both HGs) (attempting to have the same frontal orientation as yours). Then I tried to size-match the pics and put them together for a comparison...

I'm still curious as to the cause of this difference. Both of our plants are legitimate HG clones (I believe from same source). I was thinking age of clone but that doesn't really explain the quite-robust peristome on the Ceph from HG seed.

Now that this is something we've noticed - we can watch our plants & see when & where the differences arise and get some clues about the potential factors that might be causing them....

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by garz View Post
    I've been trying to scour the web for some Ceph 'HG' seeds... Any idea where I can shnag me some?
    Here's a thread I posted last fall to alert everyone to the presence of fresh seed in the seedbank. While there are still a few packets in the 'Donor' section, I have no idea of how viable they are at this age...

For reasons I cannot fathom, it seems that many people are highly motivated to purchase seed out of season or old seed from unreliable sources. At this time of year, if you know of a reliable source, you can find fresh seed from Oz. If not, start looking again in the fall for decent Northern Hemisphere sources.

As elgecko mentioned, even though the seeds come from 'Hummer's Giant' parents, they will not be 'Hummer's Giant' Cephs.
    Last edited by RL7836; 03-02-2012 at 09:17 AM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post

As elgecko mentioned, even though the seeds come from 'Hummer's Giant' parents, they will not be 'Hummer's Giant' Cephs.
    Can you elaborate on this? How does that work, is it a hit or miss kind of thing?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garz View Post
    Can you elaborate on this? How does that work, is it a hit or miss kind of thing?
    True cultivars are propagated by cuttings of the original plant so that the specific traits of the cultivar are not lost. 'Hummer's Giant' is a registered cultivar.
    Growing from seed will not retain the characteristics of the cultivar. Which is why they are identified with F1. F1 meaning the plant is a seed grown and not a true cultivar.

This may help:
    http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3920.html

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pic. I can clearly see the difference now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeeez major kudos to you! They're easily the biggest Ceph plants I've ever seen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy Handgernades those are very impressive. What is Turface? Is it a product from a store or company or just a short name for a home made mix.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast