Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Afraid to Repot. 21 Stalks Already. Necessary? [Pics]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENroaches View Post
    I'm probably wrong, but I thought I read before that if you divide your plants will be healthier. I, too, prefer a forest of pitchers vs. just a few pitchers to a plant. I divided my VFTs last year and most of them weren't very fun to look at :-\.

I bought pots today, and I bought them big enough to repot these without dividing.[COLOR="green"]
    Not necessarily true Tim. As long as your media is fine, they will thrive if left undisturbed. The pot of flava below have been in that same pot for years. I refreshed the media 3 years ago and they are still going strong. This photo was taken last year and the crowns are now pushing against the sides all the way around but as I said, I love a full pot. I will probably thin this one out next spring though....but not too much. . I like the fact that you're not going to divide them. Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three years?! How deep is the pot? Is that what determines how often they need new soil? I thought I had to repot every year... I just bought 6 cubic feet of peat and 21 pounds of perlite and a bunch of new bigger pots!

Those plants couldn't look happier!
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    21 POUNDS of perlite!?!?! GREAT SCOTT!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENroaches View Post
    Three years?! How deep is the pot? Is that what determines how often they need new soil? I thought I had to repot every year... I just bought 6 cubic feet of peat and 21 pounds of perlite and a bunch of new bigger pots!

Those plants couldn't look happier!
    Thanks. That pot is about 12-14 inches deep and no, that is not what determines how often the media should be changed. I change mine after I notice it breaking down and becoming compacted which is usually every 2-3 years. I then run my old soil thru a 1/4 inch screen and add fresh components to it before I reuse it again. Very rarely do I pitch old soil. See photos below:

Old media going thru the screen

Old media top left and new components ready to mix in

All mixed together

Old broken down and compacted media (2-3 yrs old)

Repotted in the new refreshed media

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only $15.99+ tax. It's either that or like $6 for a little bag. Thermorock has a couple facilities within 30 miles of here. I stopped shopping around once I found one place that carries the big bags.

I called and asked if they carry plain perlite, no fertilizer, and he said yeah but you have to buy 21 pounds. I said "perfect!"

Tim

Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh. that doesnt look like such a formidable amount now that i see it... ive bought a bag almost that size before. i thought there'd be way more since it's so light :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, Fred. I pitch my soil every time. I SWEAR I read that if your pot's... wait, I think it was in a past thread I started.... First reply. I'm kind of hesitant to reuse old soil just because some of the pots develop some mold when they're inside for winter. That happened more last year than this year, because I kept them a lot dryer this year. So I start fresh.
    Tim

Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little mold on the soil surface won't hurt anything and reusing old soil is very economical. I know a number of growers that reuse their soil year after year. Pushing it through a screen breaks it up and aerates it again.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast