0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what sarr is that Fred p very nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I missed a lot of these replies until now! I don't reckon I'll repot these next year, but I will this year. I did almost half my plants yesterday, and now have to go out in the pouring rain and do the other half today, before I leave town tomorrow.

Question, Fred: It looks like several of your flower stalks (5 o'clock through 7 o'clock) come out of the soil. I never plant my plants that deeply. I can see wehre my stalks and pitchers come out of the plant on my plants. Is there an advantage to covering up so much of the plant with the peat/perlite?
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MICKEY View Post
    what sarr is that Fred p very nice
    Thanks. It's just a typical flava but it's one of my oldest plants.

---------- Post added 03-17-2012 at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-16-2012 at 11:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TENroaches View Post
    Question, Fred: It looks like several of your flower stalks (5 o'clock through 7 o'clock) come out of the soil. I never plant my plants that deeply. I can see wehre my stalks and pitchers come out of the plant on my plants. Is there an advantage to covering up so much of the plant with the peat/perlite?
    I find that most Sarrs tend to bury themselves when left undisturbed for a while and thatís the case here with that large pot. However, it didnít help that I accidently dumped a wheelbarrow full of media on top of this pot.

I have a lot of plants that send up buds from expanding rhizomes from under the soil (and itís very normal) as in the two photos below:

I also always have a few buds that get stuck against the pot and snap themselves in two before I can get to them as in these two photos:

This one almost snapped but I caught it in time.

But to answer your question as to whether there is any advantage in covering the rhizome up so much with media; the answer in my opinion is no (unless roots are showing). They tend to do it all on their own. But I donít like to see a whole lot of the rhizome above the soil so I tend to cover more of it.

This is probably what youíre used to seeing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fred, flava is a beast isn't it? Haha here is one of my plants from seed sown in 2005 (I got it from a friend in '07) that has filled up an 8" pot and has roughly 15-20 flowers... I need to do more trimming back haha. This is just a typical flava, that I was going to repot and divide this year but decided not to.. Probably a mistake on my part as its literally starting to bust out of the side of the pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I love flava Kris. I just wish they sent up fall pitchers as well. That's why I do a lot of hybridizing with fall producers to come up with those that will generate pitchers all season.
    I have a bunch of others that look just like yours above (busting thru the pots)...nice plant btw. You'll be fine for another year. It will just start splitting the pot but otherwise should do just fine. As I said above, I love a “full” pot of Sarracenia. Take some pics of that plant when it sends up its spring flush of pitchers. I would love to see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fred, this was the same plant last season, it tried to flower but aborted the 2 stalks it attempted last season... So we will see how it does this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Kris! Do you have a photo with them all open?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure i do somewhere Fred, I will have to dig it up for you... As I'm sure you know it's st pattys day and my Irish portion has been partying a bit so I will have to look for it in the morning. this is probably the only time you will see me thanking my iPad/iPhone for autocorrect haha...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast