What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afraid to Repot. 21 Stalks Already. Necessary? [Pics]

You have no idea how less stressed you made me about repotting tomorrow. I guess rinsing perlite and using the screen do the same thing. Knocks off the dust and small particles. I'll repot next Wednesday when it's warm and sunny. I'll probably still rinse my perlite, because I don't have a screen made, and a screen would be another thing I'd get sassed about for having around.

Now, if only someone would hire me so I could get my own house with my own yard with my own bog...

No problem. Good luck.

You're making me think I could probably get away with not repotting until next Wednesday, or maybe not at all, rather than repot tomorrow out in the 45F weather. I'd repot Wednesday if not tomorrow. No harm in repotting a plant putting up flower stalks?

its reccommended to repot (every) spring, but really, you can repot any time. plants just recover better thwne theyre full of growth.

so it doesnt matter if you repot now, next week, or next month. and it wont be a HUGE difference if you hold off till next year.
I plan on repotting a few of my sarrs and most of my pings towards the end of march.

I found, for me, that my plants sulk a bit after re-potting. I only do it if really needed, every few years, when the soil becomes muck. Fred, I am sooo going to "borrow" your recycling scheme. I even havbe a kickin' screen and plastic barrow. Thanks for the idea!

It's worked for me for years Katie and with as much media as I go through, it saves a lot of $$ too. Good luck.

I'm with you Fred
Over all the years I have been growing these plant I have never thrown out any media, always reusing it either mixed with new media or as a base for my seedlings, not only does it save money but it is ecologicly sound, I have no desire to use any more resources than I absolutely have to.

Wow, Fred. I pitch my soil every time. I SWEAR I read that if your pot's... wait, I think it was in a past thread I started.... First reply.

One person's opinion does not an absolute law make! ;)
its not *bad* to repot every year, but its far from necessary..
personally, I have been doing a 2-year repot on all my CP's..works fine.

light mold on the surface (during dormancy) is meaningless and harmless.
it disappears after a few days back out in the sun..

personally I never re-use soil..but thats only because I use pure peat in my minibogs, (with a LFS top dressing) and after 2 years its spent..I dump it in the vegetbable garden or the compost pile, where it will be used to improve our terrible native clay soil in garden beds..

Scot

Only $15.99+ tax. It's either that or like $6 for a little bag. Thermorock has a couple facilities within 30 miles of here. I stopped shopping around once I found one place that carries the big bags.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??
i've been paying $7.99 for a 2 gallon~2.8 pound bag:censor:

good luck, it's a beautiful plant

Tim - here's the same pot today in the same media (3rd year now). I did dump a little media over the top of the rhizome about a month ago but that's it. About 32 flowers on one rhizome :-O.... I think that's a new record for me. There's even a double bud in there.
1005827601x800.jpg

Holey moley! That's beautiful Fred! And all on ONE intact rhizome!? :bigthumpup::love::bigthumpup:

what sarr is that Fred p very nice

Wow, I missed a lot of these replies until now! I don't reckon I'll repot these next year, but I will this year. I did almost half my plants yesterday, and now have to go out in the pouring rain and do the other half today, before I leave town tomorrow.

Question, Fred: It looks like several of your flower stalks (5 o'clock through 7 o'clock) come out of the soil. I never plant my plants that deeply. I can see wehre my stalks and pitchers come out of the plant on my plants. Is there an advantage to covering up so much of the plant with the peat/perlite?

what sarr is that Fred p very nice

Thanks. It's just a typical flava but it's one of my oldest plants.

---------- Post added 03-17-2012 at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-16-2012 at 11:44 PM ----------

Question, Fred: It looks like several of your flower stalks (5 o'clock through 7 o'clock) come out of the soil. I never plant my plants that deeply. I can see wehre my stalks and pitchers come out of the plant on my plants. Is there an advantage to covering up so much of the plant with the peat/perlite?

I find that most Sarrs tend to bury themselves when left undisturbed for a while and that’s the case here with that large pot. However, it didn’t help that I accidently dumped a wheelbarrow full of media on top of this pot. :nono:

I have a lot of plants that send up buds from expanding rhizomes from under the soil (and it’s very normal) as in the two photos below:

1005830800x601.jpg

1005835800x601.jpg

I also always have a few buds that get stuck against the pot and snap themselves in two before I can get to them as in these two photos:
1005836800x601.jpg

1005833800x601.jpg

This one almost snapped but I caught it in time.
1005839800x601.jpg

But to answer your question as to whether there is any advantage in covering the rhizome up so much with media; the answer in my opinion is no (unless roots are showing). They tend to do it all on their own. But I don’t like to see a whole lot of the rhizome above the soil so I tend to cover more of it.

This is probably what you’re used to seeing.
1005832800x601.jpg

Fred, flava is a beast isn't it? Haha here is one of my plants from seed sown in 2005 (I got it from a friend in '07) that has filled up an 8" pot and has roughly 15-20 flowers... I need to do more trimming back haha. This is just a typical flava, that I was going to repot and divide this year but decided not to.. Probably a mistake on my part as its literally starting to bust out of the side of the pot.

a2468c7b.jpg

Yeah I love flava Kris. I just wish they sent up fall pitchers as well. That's why I do a lot of hybridizing with fall producers to come up with those that will generate pitchers all season.
I have a bunch of others that look just like yours above (busting thru the pots)...nice plant btw. You'll be fine for another year. It will just start splitting the pot but otherwise should do just fine. As I said above, I love a “full” pot of Sarracenia. Take some pics of that plant when it sends up its spring flush of pitchers. I would love to see it.

Fred, this was the same plant last season, it tried to flower but aborted the 2 stalks it attempted last season... So we will see how it does this season.
June2011012.jpg

Nice Kris! Do you have a photo with them all open?

I'm sure i do somewhere Fred, I will have to dig it up for you... As I'm sure you know it's st pattys day and my Irish portion has been partying a bit so I will have to look for it in the morning. ;) this is probably the only time you will see me thanking my iPad/iPhone for autocorrect haha...

Back