Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Afraid to Repot. 21 Stalks Already. Necessary? [Pics]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Afraid to Repot. 21 Stalks Already. Necessary? [Pics]

I think the plant is a Red Bug. It was kind of nice out today, so I took a couple pots out to trim dead parts off like I should have done months ago. I noticed new growth on some VFTs, and a flower stalk starting on one Sarr. Then I got to my one pot that has two (or probably three or more now) Red Bugs in. I counted 21 flower stalks. My concern is that I'll probably break half the stalks when repotting. Not that I've ever gotten seed from the flowers; I just like how they look.

This is about a month earlier than they put up stalks last year, maybe because I kept them in the warmer workshop, as opposed to moving them into the cooler garage like last year.

Flower stalks means too late to divide, I reckon, too.
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emerging flower stalks doesn't mean it is too late to divide. The plant is just coming out of dormancy and you might break a few flower buds and damage a few emerging leaves, but the divisions should recover just fine. Just be careful when you break or cut the divisions apart. It just depends if you want a crowded pot or several pots where each plant has more room to grow.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, that plant needs to be divided . . . By unrooting the plant and separating the divisions carefully you should get the majority of the flower stalks to keep.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be no problem at all; it happens to me each and every season . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you end up doing, make sure you post pictures of all the flowers!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    drool great plant , I just started collecting the bug sarrs got ladybug and am getting bug pipes
    need a red bug if you divide them maybe we can trade something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you feel that plant needs to be divided? There is still plenty of room in that pot. I think they look their best when starting to fill a pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred P View Post
    Why do you feel that plant needs to be divided? There is still plenty of room in that pot. I think they look their best when starting to fill a pot.
    I'm probably wrong, but I thought I read before that if you divide your plants will be healthier. I, too, prefer a forest of pitchers vs. just a few pitchers to a plant. I divided my VFTs last year and most of them weren't very fun to look at :-\.

I bought pots today, and I bought them big enough to repot these without dividing.

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

I have another question, hoping maybe it will be answered by morning.

It's going to be about 45F out tomorrow. I could repot, since my plants are already putting out new growth and stalks. But they'd go right back inside to where it's darker (one glass block window covered by a deck), because the nights are still too cold out for the plants, and I'm going away for the weekend.

Or I could let them grow more over the weekend in their pots and repot them on Tuesday when it's supposed to be 48, or Wednesday when it's 60. I guess it's this: How important is it to repot right away if your plants already started spring growth?

Some of my smaller pots got pretty darn dry, maybe even dry enough to kill the plants but I hope not. I watered them during winter, but the smaller pots don't hold as much water in the trays. All the soils are nice and we now. I don't know if that makes a difference, letting the roots soak up some of that water, for when I should repot.

This is my third year repotting, and I still go nuts every year worrying to death, but I haven't lost a plant because of it yet. Yet. :-\

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

My 'Tarnok' already has a 6" or so tall flower stalk, and 8 other shorter ones.
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast