What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora Germination

Looking nice Butch! I added some Trich directly to my seeds yesterday. Sprinkled some flowable over them and then misted with a bit of water.

Hmm as far as temperatures ago, mine are going to have to tough it. So far in the basement (only a partial basement so my temps do get up into the 70's) the max temperature that I have seen is around 73F. I'm hoping it won't be too warm as it continues to warm up here in western NC.

Good luck everyone!!

Crystal

Crystal, just giving you a heads up, I've tried growing heliamphora from seed last year---having relatively fresh seed, I believe my low germination rates were partially due to lower temps, i.e. typical heli temps. Of 60-70 seed sown, I've had a max number of 15. Then again, these were nowhere near as fresh as Butch's.

Here is my addition to the thread. I went the jello route (minus the pineapple rings and maraschino cherries) . . .

Heliamphora folliculata 19 March
HFOLLIC.jpg

@cindy: im planing to keep my seeds relatively warmer than typical heliamphora temps. 2 true leaves from germination, i will then move them into cooler conditions.

What is typical heliamphora temperatures? Would 75-80F be above?

sorta would depend on species, but that is the range most cited as recommended max..... now as far as seed germination goes me dunno, not much specific info to be found on heli seed germination.

(I hope this community thread with multiple growers using common genetic stock provides some good answers to what are best practices.... )

I give the podium to amp and david....

:)

Last edited:
I will get pics of mine. Need a humidity and temp gauge too. Right now I do the deal test lol. And I know humidity is in the 80's90's

@cindy: i've heard temp ranges around 83-85F are ideal for a number of heliamphora species--some tested under this range included H. exappendiculata, H. "angasima", and H. pulchella. All revealed germination in as little as 2-3 weeks after sown. For me, under highland conditions, the (same species) seed took about a month and a half to germinate.

@amphirion: Thanks! I guess I could try sowing the seeds in both 75C and 85C.

Thanks for letting me know about the temperatures. I had no idea they could tolerate and even prefer it that warm. I'm hitting temperatures in the mid 70's now during the day. Not much happening yet.

I went the cooler route -- highland temperatures, lows in the fifties at night -- with my last batch of seedlings, and grew them alongside my adult plants. Germination took just about four weeks last Summer -- so too those seeds in vitro . . .

Heliamphora sp. "Angasima"

ANGASIMA-4.jpg

Wow! Nice BB! They resemble Sarr seedlings quite a bit at that stage. I guess only time will tell if my temperatures will compliment the Helis seeds.

Wow! Nice BB! They resemble Sarr seedlings quite a bit at that stage. I guess only time will tell if my temperatures will compliment the Helis seeds.

Thanks Crissytal -- and I am sure that your temperature ranges will be fine through germination. H. folliculata exists at between 1700 and 2100 meters in the wild -- and falls into sort of an intermediate among the genera.

folliculata.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I just read through this thread. I need to prepare my pots and grow system now. I'll try both warm and cold temps at night. I suspect seeds in general like warmer temps over all since even highland nep seeds germinate in warm temps, but we'll see. Perhaps I'll try just one seed at night in highland conditions. I haven't decided yet. As far a substrates I have lfs, pearlite, peat and sand. What is trich?

TRICHODERMA SPECIES —
OPPORTUNISTIC,AVIRULENT
PLANT SYMBIONTS

Gary E.Harman*, Charles R.Howell‡, Ada Viterbo§, Ilan Chet§ and Matteo Lorito||

Abstract:
Trichoderma spp. are free-living fungi that are common in soil and root ecosystems. Recent
discoveries show that they are opportunistic, avirulent plant symbionts, as well as being
parasites of other fungi. At least some strains establish robust and long-lasting colonizations of
root surfaces and penetrate into the epidermis and a few cells below this level. They produce or release a variety of compounds that induce localized or systemic resistance responses, and this explains their lack of pathogenicity to plants. These root–microorganism associations cause
substantial changes to the plant proteome and metabolism. Plants are protected from
numerous classes of plant pathogen by responses that are similar to systemic acquired
resistance and rhizobacteria-induced systemic resistance. Root colonization by Trichoderma spp.
also frequently enhances root growth and development, crop productivity, resistance to abiotic
stresses and the uptake and use of nutrients.

In Vivo Study of Trichoderma-Pathogen-Plant Interactions, Using
Constitutive and Inducible Green Fluorescent Protein
Reporter Systems

Zexun Lu,1 Riccardo Tombolini,2 Sheridan Woo,3 Susanne Zeilinger,4
Matteo Lorito,3 and Janet K. Jansson1,5*
Section for Natural Sciences, So¨derto¨rn University College, 14189 Huddinge,1 and Plant Pathology and Biocontrol Unit2 and
Department of Microbiology,5 Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, 75007 Uppsala, Sweden;
Universita´ degli Studi di Napoli Federico II and Centro di Studio CNR per le Tecniche di Lotta Biologica,
80050 Portici, Italy3; and Abteilung fu¨r Mikrobielle Biochemie, Institut fu¨r Biochemische
Technologie und Mikrobiologie, Technische Universita¨t Wien, A-1060 Vienna, Austria4
Received 14 July 2003/Accepted 27 January 2004

Abstract:
Plant tissue colonization by Trichoderma atroviride plays a critical role in the reduction of diseases caused by phytopathogenic fungi, but this process has not been thoroughly studied in situ. We monitored in situ interactions between gfp-tagged biocontrol strains of T. atroviride and soilborne plant pathogens that were grown in cocultures and on cucumber seeds by confocal scanning laser microscopy and fluorescence stereomicroscopy.
Spores of T. atroviride adhered to Pythium ultimum mycelia in coculture experiments. In mycoparasitic interactions of T. atroviride with P. ultimum or Rhizoctonia solani, the mycoparasitic hyphae grew alongside the pathogen mycelia, and this was followed by coiling and formation of specialized structures similar to hooks,
appressoria, and papillae. The morphological changes observed depended on the pathogen tested. Branching of T. atroviride mycelium appeared to be an active response to the presence of the pathogenic host. Mycoparasitism
of P. ultimum by T. atroviride occurred on cucumber seed surfaces while the seeds were germinating. The interaction of these fungi on the cucumber seeds was similar to the interaction observed in coculture experiments.
Green fluorescent protein expression under the control of host-inducible promoters was also studied. The induction of specific Trichoderma genes was monitored visually in cocultures, on plant surfaces, and in soil in the presence of colloidal chitin or Rhizoctonia by confocal microscopy and fluorescence stereomicroscopy.
These tools allowed initiation of the mycoparasitic gene expression cascade to be monitored in vivo.

et. al., There are literally mounds of peer reviewed research papers on the subject.

HTH's
Butch

Scientific articles are where it's at ;)

Nice seedlings David! How long did it take for the seedlings to get to that size?

Nice seedlings David! How long did it take for the seedlings to get to that size?

Thanks.

The seed germinated late last July; so, eight months or so . . .

Heliamphora sp. "Angasima" (?) 28 July 2011
HELISPROUTS-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looking very nice BB! Do you find them fairly easy when they are so tiny?

Looking very nice BB! Do you find them fairly easy when they are so tiny?

They were very simple. I placed an inverted zip-lock bag over the pots, open around the sides -- and watered from below . . .

have mine in a humidity dome. Will look them over this weekend. Figure Easter surprises might soon be hiding in pot :p

Back