Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia growers

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leo Song's research at CSU Fullerton indicated 80-81F(~27C) was the highest root temperature this species would tolerate. Earlier field studies indicated root temperatures remained at a near constant 52F(11C) even when air temperatures exceeded 85F(29C). This paper by Doug Burdic indicates root die off in cultivation will begin when rhizosphere temperatures reach or exceed 65F(18C) unless high levels of humidity are maintained and root temperatures are lowered.

All other indications seem to suggest this species also prefers well oxygenated roots.

You might be able to oxygenate the roots by placing it in a slightly elevated portion of your bog where the water levels fluctuate more during the day. And you can keep the roots cooler by shading or adding reflective material (white silica sand?) around the surface area of the bog where the plants will be.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 04-07-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine survived 90* in the summer, but it had 70* roots.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live moss growing around the base of the plant along with flowing water helps to keep the roots from over-heating. My pond set up gets full blazing sun at least 6 hours a day through summer with temps into the 80s to 90s with occasional bumps to 100 and seem to suffer no ill effects. I think they are more hardy than people give them credit for.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's due to the availability of nursery seed grown/cultivated plants reaching critical mass within the last 10 years. Before it was mainly crappy tissue culture/death cube or wild collected plants. Plants collected from the wild seldom survive in cultivation probably due to the loss of the commensal organisms in the pitchers that do the actual digestion of prey. Darlingtonia does not produce its own digestive enzymes. It probably takes some time for the plants to adapt or some other organism to take over the task.

Live Sphagnum moss makes excellent cover for Darlingtonia, it provides shade/reflective surface and evaporative cooling. The trick is keep birds from picking clean in the spring for nesting material.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always have a top layer of LFS and also have to deal with "angry birds".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually...Cobra plants have since been found to create a form of digestive enzyme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlingtonia_californica
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 4 year old pot of them and I even successfully started some 2 years ago and they're doing very well.
    It can get to 100 here, I keep them in dappled Sun - bright shade and pour rainwater on the soil several times a day in hot weather.

Here are my 4 year olds!

Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some in situ photos of one of the mountain population by Forbes Conrad. Gives you an idea of the environment they grow in.

http://aldrovanda.com/eight-dollar-m...nd-in-february

Samples of Forbes professional work can be seen here:
    http://www.forbesconrad.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast