Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia growers

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    Actually...Cobra plants have since been found to create a form of digestive enzyme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlingtonia_californica
    Interesting as I can find no other references to this except to the one book. I would think others would cite this research. If anybody has Pietropaolo's Carnivorous Plants of the World, I would like to know what study the author cites and obtain a copy of the study.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hot periods during the day have never been an issue with darlingtonia granted most of mine come from inland or higher level population origins, however I believe that good ol temp drop at night with us northern growers is a good key to all of it, like highland plants, we will see days in the upper 80s, mid 90s occasionally around 100 but rarely, and the plants suffer no I'll effect, wonder if this has to do with our nights never being above 60F?
    In the years I've grown darlingtonia, my plants have experienced some crazy weather, and yet all i have lost are a few pots of young seedlings at no other fault but my own (too dry usually) this plant likes its feet cold and wet, that's for sure.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one plant I got died on me, but I found out afterward there were pests in the pot. I'll be trying again from some seeds I happen to have.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a photo taken a few minutes ago of my 2 year old seed started cobras. Again, I pour water over the plant several times a day. Ambient air temp. water.

Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great looking..... LFS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow a couple different variety's and I would suggest a terrecota pot that has a airy (orchid bark) mix to help keep the roots cool but also with spaghnum,perlite, vermiculite and some peat to retain a good amount of moister. I have been growing these outdoors for a couple years now and tend to be very hardy for me. They have been in cold weather and 90+ weather without water and very little maintance for several weeks at a time and have always grown steady for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any Spare Seeds Or Cuttlings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JB - I suspect that your circulating water reaches temps during summer that the cobra's will be unable to handle (imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    I think that's due to the availability of nursery seed grown/cultivated plants reaching critical mass within the last 10 years.
    While this is probably a big step in the right direction, there are very few people outside of Left-Coast'ers who have successfully grown these plants for several years at a time (notice the locations of the posters who've had success). I've had multiple people from the PNW tell me that the plants can be grown here (NJ) but I've yet to find anyone who has found success without significant intervention (one guy hung a fresh 2 or 3 liter frozen soda bottle above his plant each day - the condensing moisture gave it cool water all day long). Personally, I've failed in all of my attempts. I was able to keep them alive for a year or two (sometimes) but they always seemed to be in a slow decline and died either during winter or a summer hot spell.

Tommyr's 4 year success may be the longest I've heard about (but I suspect NY state is cooler than SC...).

Good luck if you decide to try - share updates with your status ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast