Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia growers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darlingtonia growers

I have never sucessfully grown this plant. And think I have only tried once. I was under the impression it liked cooler temps. Would it survive outdoors in SC with my sarrs? Temps hit 100+ durring the summer. I am looking to aquire one of the mountain varieties. The bog it will be in is a circ bog and the water keep flowing. Will never dry out because of a min water level the bog keeps it at. The plant I am looking to aquire is a large flowering cobra. It had the largest leaves I had ever seen on a cobra. Rivaled the hight of a leah wilkerson in the pictures from previous season. I would hate to aquire a plant I couldn't care for and kill.

Thanks for the info.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harry Tryon

has several cultivars of the plant you seek.
    One of them has the tallest pitchers I have ever seen (nearly 48")...and I grew up hiking all around them in this area.
    BTW he propogates them for a large supplier in Ca.
    They love the heat, many days in the hills around here are at or above 100* in the summer time. As long as they have cool water for the roots.
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you watch Jeff Dallas' YouTube video about his experience with this species. It can tolerate very hot weather as long as it has water flowing over the roots (emulating the seep-type soil/root experience it gets in nature) and the water should be kept as cool as possible. I found mine tolerated 85F water on hot days, at least for periods.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. My circ bog continually circulates the water from a rain barrel. I fill with tap when low. Always maintains a few inches if the power goes out or if the barrel runs dry. I haven't took a temp of the water.

I'm working a trade with a gentleman offering a large darlinftonia as part of the deal. Was just making sure I could successfully grow it here in SC and not kill it.
    JB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    Thanks guys. My circ bog continually circulates the water from a rain barrel. I fill with tap when low.
    Unless you have verified that your "tap" has less than 50ppm tds, then that is not a good idea when it comes to Darlingtonia.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy was just in an ordinary window planter on my porch and the temps occasionally exceeded 90F. I really didn't do anything special for it and it didn't seem to be fazed by the heat. My observation is that an well-established plant tolerates a lot.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul my water hovers around 90ppm when I checked it.

So these guys are more sensitive than sarrs and vft? Everything else tolerates the water fine.
    Last edited by JB_OrchidGuy; 04-07-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    JB

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Darlingtonia will do great in that set up. I think the oxygination of the flowing water is more important than cold water. As long as the water is cool, like not exposed to and getting warm from the sun, you should be fine. I think Darlingtonia are more tolerant of higher TDS than sarrs in my experience, but would keep it under 100 ppm to be safe. My pond at times gets in the 100 range and that is the water I have flowing through my Darlingtonia. As for sun, they do just fine in your temperatures and the mountain variety get temps to 100 or more in the wild at times.

Go for it and please post pics if you can, would love to see them

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast