What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think of this potential hybrid?

So it just so happens that I have a nice hybrid possibility going, and was wondering what others thought of this as I have never really done a hybrid of my own with Sarrs other than species... So here we go

S. "Ares" from Jerry Addington i believe he said this is Doreen's Colossus x Odyssey
June2011181.jpg

June2011190.jpg

Crossed with a very nice xCatesbaei from Karen Oudean
xCatesbaei from Sunata, FL.
DSC_0155-1.jpg

My hopes are for a nice dark red, robust plant that holds its traps through winter, and is very cold resistant... Both of these plants already exhibit this trait, so we will see.... Another one I'm thinking is crossing "Ares" with my 'Leah Wilkerson'

With complex hybrids, there is no way of knowing what the seedlings will look like with all those genes dancing around in there...but my guess is that it will be dark red and fairly flava like.

I've spoken with Jerry Addington about this cross, and odyssey is supposedly an xCatesbaei itself, Doreen's Colossus is flava x oreophila, so basically will be all flava, purpurea, and a touch of oreophila... Now he's saying they should be pretty similar to catesbaei with tall traps, likely robust but will have quite a bit of variance... Hopefully something cultivar worthy in there...

those look totally worthy of a cross breed attempt... it'd be cool to see one with the bulbous throat and that hood that sticks waaayy out....

Something really nice should come out of it. Looks like great potential.

Is Ares a grex name or a single cultivar from the Doreen's Colossus x Odyssey cross?

Ares is awesome!!!! Love it.

Tony C, I think there are a few others from the cross but I can't recall the others off the top of my head...

Are there other hybrids with Ares already out there? Just by the looks of both plants I think this cross could be amazing--definitely lots of red, and I like how you're thinking about having pitchers over the winter and not just nice ones in the summer and fall.

Are there other hybrids with Ares already out there? Just by the looks of both plants I think this cross could be amazing--definitely lots of red, and I like how you're thinking about having pitchers over the winter and not just nice ones in the summer and fall.

You can thank Mr. Addington for that way of thinking.... The guy is an unlimited book of knowledge... The guy knows more about genetics than most people could comprehend (including myself, and I'm a science buff!) but he has taught me worlds of things about these plants that no one book could even teach.

Back