User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stored Sarr pollen use and pollination during rain...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Stored Sarr pollen use and pollination during rain...

Hey guys. I'm planning on doing some very controlled Sarracenia pollination rounds this year and have a couple of questions.

I'm using Q-tips and labeled aluminum foil envelopes to store pollen in the fridge for later use. I'm using one end of a Q-tip per flower and collect pollen everyday in order to have the pollen accumulate on each Q-tip.
    One of the early Sarrs to flower is one of my flavas. So much pollen has accumulated on the Q-tip end over the last few days that I can clearly see small wisps of pollen "dust" emerge off the Q-tip end as I collect more. Given this, how many Sarr flowers do you guys think I can pollinate successfully with one Q-tip end? Should I feel comfortable in continuing to pollinate multiple flowers with one Q-tip end as long as I see that there is pollen on the end? Do you guys set a limit?

-----

Do any of you move your flowering Sarrs inside or to a sheltered location during rainy days where you can continue to collect pollen and pollination? We are going to have a bit of rain soon here in Southern California, and I would like to be prepared.... I don't want rain making pollen splash around inside the flowers, maybe even risking self fertilization.

Thanks for your help!
    -Joel from Southern California

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never stored pollen in the refrigerator for more the 3 weeks having no idea how long it will remain viable. Perhaps Av8tor1 or someone else with a microscope will run some tests.

The only problem with using the same swab repeatedly that I foresee is contamination of pollen from the other flowers. You might try using another single use swab to transfer pollen from the "storage" swab to the stigma. Some people use a toothpick with the tip dampened with a tiny amount of water or vegetable oil. I prefer using a small water color paint brush and have a number of them. Sometimes I'll just use a swab for single use.

Since my balcony plants are under an awning rain isn't much of a problem unless there are high winds too. I've never considered moving them for reasons of pollen. I guess you'll have to use your own judgement there.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point on the chance of the storage swab contaminating the pollen of another flower. Using a one time use swab for actual pollination seems like the way to go.

Well, the rain is coming and about a dozen flowers look like they are about to pop open. So, I've moved some to the covered area by my patio.

Thanks again!
    -Joel from Southern California