What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower stalks look burned [Pics]

Does anyone know what causes this? I have plenty of healthy flower stalks on all my pitcher plants, but I saw a few like this. I bring them in when there's a frost or freeze warning. Maybe I missed a night? Or could this be bugs of some sort? I did just find and spray for aphids. This doesn't really look like eaten plant from aphids, though.

Let me know what you think.

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3814.JPG

IMG_3812.JPG

i've had the same problem with some of mine. I also had an inchworm attack so between whatever this is and the inchworms my 20+ flowers are down to about 8 or so... so much for making crosses... Best of luck in finding out whatever this is

Judging by the appearance only, I'm guessing a fungal origin. I'm seeing what look like fruiting bodies on the withered parties of the stem, especially in pics one and two.

I find that a few flower stalks abort every year, with no obvious cause. I agree that this looks more fungal than insect.

I have had problems with both in the past (Botrytis, aphids and cottony scale). I now use Bonide Orchard Spray (sulfur and pyrethrin) in the greenhouse throughout dormancy to help control both. I've found it to be effective and safe on Sarracenia, Dionaea, Drosera and Pinguicula. If you want to avoid the insecticide, there are wettable sulfur powders you can spray as well as a topical fungicide.

I sprayed with Bayer Rose and Flower Insect Killer for the few aphids I found. I have Safer brand fungicide I can use if I notice this continuing. I guess I should snip off the fungal stalks.

Is it possible that this is a function of our recent cold spell that followed the warm one in March. I saw just about every flower bud die when the warmth became overnight lows in the upper 20's.

Back