What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can anyone help me explain what happened???

Heli

villosaholic
I went out to check my sarr's flowers this morning and found this
:( can anyone help me figure out what happened?
P1150105.jpg

P1150107.jpg

P1150108.jpg

P1150109.jpg

P1150110.jpg

P1150111.jpg

A rabbit happened :crap: ... sorry bout that. This has been one of the reasons I have been trying to create a cool sarr hybrid since I was 10...they always eat it! Next season, or if there are any flowers left then I recommend that you put something over the flowers...like bagging them. I usually do that but this year the barn owls helped out a lot by catching the rabbits. The last pic still looks like that flower might still might be able to make seeds...

I don't think it could have been a rabbit. I probably should have mentioned that I live in the middle of Brooklyn and these plants are on the roof of a 4 story building.

Last edited:
The breaks almost look like they were cut. However there's a point in the development when the stalks are brittle and will snap apart cleanly like a carrot. Otherwise the stalks will just break and bend like a straw. Bend one quickly and see if it is in the "carrot" stage. If so I'd suspect two legged critters with wings. Or maybe someone was moving furniture or something and snapped the flowers off accidentally and panicked and tried to hide the evidence. Otherwise someone out of malice or some other reason cut them off and took the buds. Was there enough wind that could have blown the buds away?

NYC = someone tried to smoke them, thinking they were opium.... see any razor blade cuts? :p
(just teasin ya)

That second picture sorta looks like it was gnawed on. Maybe one of those infamous sewer alligators?

infamous NYC rats?

;@Nan thanks for the input. There is some wind on the roof but I found two or three of the buds in the dirt. I just tried snapping the stems and you are correct, they seem to be at the "carrot" stage. Also, dont know if this is important but right as I opened the door I saw some birds fly away from right next to the "crime" scene.

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

@Butch, the rats here are always in the subway never up top on roofs.

Clearly only ONE explanation

tumblr_lz0f657gu31qhvtgno1_400.jpg

Or a more plausible reason could be squirrels, they beheaded one of my sarr flowers last year just like that.

carn12, could be... there are a lot of squirrels here.. and I hate them all!

Starling attacks on tulips look just like that, and they would have no trouble arriving on your balcony.

In my area, deer would be the ones to do this. They are known to walk up onto people's porches and patios to get what they want. We call them "hooved slugs" here.

ugh I hate deer. They killed all my plants in upstate new york.

Looks like cuts to me. Someone with a pair of scissors.
Who did you piss off lately?

no one that knows of my collection. :lol:

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

I think Nan is correct in saying it could have been birds. There are a LOT of birds on my roof.

Clearly only ONE explanation

tumblr_lz0f657gu31qhvtgno1_400.jpg

Or a more plausible reason could be squirrels, they beheaded one of my sarr flowers last year just like that.

No! No... no... If you don't know... Therefore they were actually aliens

Almost positive it is squirrels man, had that happen several time last year... Sucks that I happened to you...

Thank you for all the help guys, I really appreciate it :)

Ugh... I can't believe it took me this long to remember, but I've seen the same thing on the Sarracenia at our local botanical gardens, so I guess whatever did it there was the same thing.

Back