Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ceph... with Hitchhiker?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Ceph... with Hitchhiker?

So I just got a new Ceph today. It's a great looking specimen... LOTS of growth points.

The thing is... it's got a Sarr growing out of it:

That's cool and all, but I wonder if it's the best thing in the world to have a plant like a Sarr sharing a pot with a Ceph. Do you think I should remove it somehow? I don't want its roots to choke the Ceph out. How would I do so without disturbing/uprooting the Ceph?

Advice welcome!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would separate them now. As the Sarracenia grows it will eventually push the Ceph out of the pot and shade it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the Sarr is growing mostly on one side, so you may be able to seperate them with minimal disturbance of the cephs roots. Squeeze the sides of the pot a few times, just enought to loosen the soil from the side of the pot, and try to slide the soil and plants out while keeping the soil ball as intact as possible. Then just work at getting the sarr out from the side , trying not to disturb the ceph, then I would suggest repotting the ceph in a larger pot. If your Ceph grows anything like mine has, you'll definately want it in a larger pot (try to go for a taller pot too, which will help keep the roots from getting too wet, though I would also suggest you dont let it sit in water for this reason. I use a wick system for mine and it works GREAT). Good luck!
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys!

Ceph: repotted. This time sans Sarracenia. I've never repotted a Ceph before, so I'm PRAYING I didn't upset the roots too much.

I threw it in a 4" pot. The top layer is just the media that the Ceph came potted in from the vendor... looks like mostly sand with a bit of milled LFS in there. About a half inch beneath that is a mix of basically 1 part peat, 1 part perlite, and 1 part sand.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Ceph in its new home:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hows the sarra doing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sarr is doing just fine! Got it potted up under my lights for now. Probably not gonna be able to keep it for long, but for now it's a welcome guest!

The Ceph on the other hand.... ehh, not looking so happy:

Notice the crispy pitchers and the yellowing stems. It's like whole growth points got pissed and decided to give out. I've got it bagged up, but other than that I'm leaving it alone. Is this just shock that I should let run its course? Got my fingers crossed, but advice is welcome!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know much about cephs but I know they dont like high humidity so that bag might be bad for it. They can rot easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That probably isn't a hitchhiker, more like a bonus.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast