Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia Greenhouse Awakening

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very inspirational Jeremiah. Thanks for sharing pics. Threads like this makes me want 2 greenhouses. One for sarracenia and one for nepenthes.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brie View Post
    Holy jealous! I wish mine were that awake!
    Ditto!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I'm having to *ragequit* the hobby

Excellent as usual Jeremiah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys,

Paul that is a beautiful Ceph, exactly what I'm hoping to grow. I'm wondering if they are just exceptionally sensitive to TDS in water. I use tap water for everything I grow and TDS usually runs between 20-40ppm. It honestly would surprise me if that was the only problem, when I got a chance to see them growing in the wild they were growing within feet of saltwater. I'll probably end up purchasing a RO system to see if that make a difference.

It has been one of the earliest springs in Colorado I can ever remember, last year we were still freezing at night until May 17th.

Thanks
    -Jeremiah-

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried using Butch's "trich bath" technique on the cephs? I've done it a few times now and many of the pitchers have doubled in size.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah Harris View Post
    Thanks guys,

Paul that is a beautiful Ceph, exactly what I'm hoping to grow. I'm wondering if they are just exceptionally sensitive to TDS in water. I use tap water for everything I grow and TDS usually runs between 20-40ppm. It honestly would surprise me if that was the only problem, when I got a chance to see them growing in the wild they were growing within feet of saltwater. I'll probably end up purchasing a RO system to see if that make a difference.
    -Jeremiah-
    Thanks, J. I have to admit I am very happy with my first 10 months with cultivating this plant. My experience with it would lead me to think that it isn't nearly as difficult a plant as the mythology would have us think, but I think I may have just been lucky. I wonder if my climate plays a role in my success? I mean, I live close enough to the west coast that summer nights here are always (and I do mean always) cool: by 7PM temps always cool way down, no matter how warm the day. It is very rare to experience a summer night that doesn't drop below 60F. (most nights drop below 55F) Day temps are not "hot" either; rarely above 85F. This "Mediterranean" climate is probably similar to what the species experiences in its native climate, I would guess. I feel certain that my climate plays a role in the health of my plants. (warm days, cool nights: significant day-to-night temp differential)

Regarding TDS in the water supply: last Summer, for about 4 months I had to rely on the municipal water supply for my CPs. I had the water tested and results indicated a TDS of 45ppm, very much in the same range as yours. That said, I used a filtered supply from the local food co-op and (supposedly) the filtering removes Cl, and Fl. (although I am told our municipal water contains neither) I wonder if Cephalotus has a sensitivity to specific elements in the water? I know many plants are sensitive to Fluoride, which can leach out of Perlite when used in a soil mix (best to limit how much you use, and if possible, soak and rinse it a couple times before you use it) That said, I do not use Perlite in my Cephalotus soil mix, not because it was a strategic decision, but simply because I chose coarse silica sand instead, since in nature this is likely most of what they grow in. I hope that gives you some ideas for getting better results with yours!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have great weather in the summer here in the emerald valley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome greenhouse!!! I love all of your vft's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast