User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urgent! Help needed with H. Minor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Urgent! Help needed with H. Minor.

I'm a bit worried about my H. Minor. I think I made a major screw up.

To give a brief summary of its condition. The plant was purchased from the FTS and from my understanding, it was raised in a greenhouse with relatively low humidity conditions. I have it an open container, sitting on a windowsill which receives 5 hours of morning/early afternoon light, and its in a media mix of 1 part LFS, 2 parts peat, and 2 parts perlite. It was doing okay for a while but the plant looks like its declining fast. Many pitchers are drying up. I'm not sure if its a delayed reaction from repotting the plant or if its from something else.

As for the screwup, well, over the last two weeks I've top-watered the plant to the point where the container was very soaked and flooded. I just realized the other day that my drained container was in fact not draining do to a blockage of glazed paint which I promptly drilled away. So this plant has been sitting in some fairly water logged soil. I'm really kicking myself for not noticing this much earlier. The creeping brown stain on the center pitcher, (which had just emerged after I bought the plant) makes me think its root rot. The pictures were from two days ago so it looks even worse now with 2/3 of it browning.

At this point I'm not sure what I should be doing to help it recover. I'm thinking of letting the soil dry out a bit and placing a humidity dome over the plant but would it benefit from the open air? For the moment I do have a dome over the plant. I hope its not too late for this plant and would appreciate any feedback from Heliamphora experts.

Plant on arrival:

What is looks like now:

I also have one less pressing inquiry. I've noticed this slime mold that's slowly creeping from the edges of the pot below. These plants get a weekly top watering and the media isn't particularly damp compared to my other containers, yet this hasn't stopped whatever this is from spreading. Anyone knows what this could be and if it is of any danger to the Ceph and his neighbors?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    browning from the base up is very bad, likely sudden death....

dig it up, remove all decayed material, dust with trichoderma, repot in fresh substrate.... do not reuse substrate. Do all this as soon as possible.

HTH's
    Av

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ no better advice then whats up there... he's a heli genius

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    browning from the base up is very bad, likely sudden death....

dig it up, remove all decayed material, dust with trichoderma, repot in fresh substrate.... do not reuse substrate. Do all this as soon as possible.

HTH's
    Av
    Thank you for the quick response. I will definitely repot the plant in fresh media. What do you mean by "dust with trichoderma'? What kind of mix would you recommend?

Also, was this probably caused by the waterlogged conditions in the substrate?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably a combination of factors.... in-situ heliamphora can be found partially submerged for periods of time.

Likely heat was also a factor...

see this, sorry but i gotta run.... :http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128505

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman Tyrant View Post
    What do you mean by "dust with trichoderma'?
    Butch (Av8tor1) asked me to help you out since he has to go. Trichoderma is a fungus that pretty much takes over the bad fungus that is currently killing your plant. Since most recently shipped helis are weak they can easily be overtaken by this bad fungus which is why you dust or soak your heli with trichoderma.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I see. Av8tor1's guide was quite informative. Where can I find Trichoderma or a similar fungicide?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant remember the source right now. Even if you order some now it might be to late by the time it gets there, root rot spreads really quickly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast