Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sarracenia rubra in the wind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarracenia rubra in the wind

Hello folks

I put my sarra outside but sometimes we have some medium wind. Can the wind damage the plant ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, wind can damage the plant by breaking pitchers, but the pitchers need to be a certain height for wind to actually damage them. S. rubra, and its complex stay relatively short and stocky in comparison to ther species, so your plants should be fine.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually found that even fairly short pitchers can be damaged by wind, obviously depending on the velocity. My purp hybrids (fairly short, maybe 6 inches tall tops) have had pitchers snap off in harsher wind conditions. But yeah, the taller, the more easy they are to damage. I recommend lowering their elevation to ground level if not already and maybe sheltering them behind a wall or on a rack or something in the case of severe wind. Most pitchers are pretty sturdy though so unless the wind's getting really heavy, they should be okay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i bet tomato cages could prove very useful if wind is unavoidable

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do have a serious wind problem, it may be a good idea to invest in some sort of protection. However, it can sometimes take a lot to damage them. My plants are protected only by the rim of a 12" kiddie pool, and have withstood 45 mph + winds in windy Colorado.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for your replys! in fact, im not even sure what sarracenia specie i have. I think its rubre but im not a expert.
    unknow sarracenia

unknow sarracenia

The winds is sometimes strong, but i think the sarra will be okay for now. If the plant continue to grow, im not sure.

Maiden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia inhabit areas that a frequently visited by hurricanes. They should be fine where you are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    Thanks a lot for your replys! in fact, im not even sure what sarracenia specie i have. I think its rubre but im not a expert.
    unknow sarracenia

unknow sarracenia

The winds is sometimes strong, but i think the sarra will be okay for now. If the plant continue to grow, im not sure.

Maiden
    Could be S alata but it's not clear from these etiolated pitchers. It looks like your plant needs much more sunlight. I think you should leave your plant outside in the sunniest spot you can find.