What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher Plant Suggestions

I'm looking at expanding my collection of plants. I currently own two types of VFT, two Sundews, and a Bonzai tree. I visited the Chicago Botanical Gardens a few weeks back and saw some pitcher plants and decided I'd like to get in on that action. I'm still pretty new to this whole thing as I've only had my plants for this season. So, what I'm looking for is something that would do well here in Dover, DE and if you can help me out with some tips to growing them I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

best to start with a purple pitcher , there easy to grow and cheap

Small trees in pots are Bonsai trees.
Bonzai is what Japanese suicide pilots (supposedly, according to legend) screamed while dive-bombing enemy ships..
they are not the same thing! ;)

Bonsai (trees) is pronounced bone-sigh.
there is no Z letter, or Z sound, in Bonsai.

Scot

Purpurea is the easiest, but some tall species to try might be rubra or leucophylla. Even flava is relatively good to grow.

Were the plants that caught your eye Asian, North American, South American, or Australian pitcher plants? I'm assuming it was one of the first two.

Thank you for the correction. I currently have my foot located inside my mouth.???

I've had great experiences with purpurea, flava, rubra, and minor. Any hybrid or species that catches your eye, I recommend checking out cpphotofinder to see what they all look like, in Dover you should be able to grow them year round with minimal winter protection.

Back