What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus Tank

I've recently changed the lighting in my Cephalotus tank and now the plants are colouring nicely and starting to grow quite fast. Here's a few snaps I took earlier today.

fHDAU.jpg

Hboxp.jpg

1vEFg.jpg

HRLtk.jpg

CyiRl.jpg

1t7GL.jpg

L7x0A.jpg

L2wGm.jpg

Wow... *fields* of Cephs! :love:

Yeah, that looks great!

Love the first picture. Very nice.

All it needs now is a sprinkling of D. capensis seed and you're all set! (seriously, that is going to look amazing in another year)

looks very natural,great job

I've died and gone to heaven.
Now I want one!!
Can you give me the run down on assembly, accessories, media, tank conditions, and maintenance please?

i agree with mass, like run us through that start from nothing and work your way up. just got my first few cephs and this would be incredibly neat!

That is an awesome tank! With the rolling hills in it it looks like their natural habitat (the companion species differ, but same idea). That could be an award winner in the not-too-far future.

I've aquascape & love aquascape but this takes the cake. honestly. I died a lil bit....lol

Mobile I be extremely interested in how you put this together*

Some from seed?

Very very nice. Like everyone else I am dying to know who you put everything together.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll try to answer all the questions...

The tank is approximately 18" x 12" x 12".
The back and two sides have adhesive mirror film applies.
The lighting is 2 x 30W warm white CFL, housed in a home made reflector.
The base of the tank has a ~1" layer of horticultural LECA.
Atop of the LECA is weed control membrane.
Atop of the weed control membrane is ~4-6" Moorland Gold.

The purpose of the LECA is to to provide a water reservoir. The weed control membrane stops the peat from filling the voids between the LECA and to help stop the peat becoming saturated, as the water drains through the peat and into the reservoir. The LECA and weed control membrane provides capillary watering to the peat above.

This setup has existed in its current state for approximately 1 year. Up until a few weeks ago the lighting was 2 x 32W daylight (full spectrum), 6000K, 1800lm CFL, but I was not happy with either the growth rate nor colouration - they mainly stayed green. I then changed the lighting to 2 x 30W soft white, 2700K, 1700lm CFL and since then they have taken on good colouration, as you can see in the pictures, and are also putting out new pitchers.

The Cephalotus to the left are "Big Boy", to the right are 'Hummer's Giant' and those in the middle are typicals. The smaller plants dotted about are seed grown. Most the plants in there are indigenous to Australia, apart from the U. Sandersonii, which is an unwelcome but pretty much irremovable intruders.

hm, so you grow your Cephalotus in conditions that are wet enough to also grow what looks like U. sandersonii, huh? Maybe I need to keep my poor little cephalotus a bit more wet...

Thank you! It looks so amazing, more like a work of art than a terrarium. Wonderful!

Yes, they are U. sandersonii, unfortunately - but they don't need particularly wet media. I've noticed a tendency over the years for Cephalotus mixes to become more and more open and dryer and dryer - which isn't atypical of their natural habitat. I have good ventilation and lighting and don't have any issues with keeping them as above, in Moorland Gold (reclaimed peat) with a capillary reservoir below.

great setup :) you are an inspiration to growers like me who just cant seem to keep cephs happy!

I have been active here for quite awhile and yet I am impressed every day by the creativity and growing ability of everyone here, great work!

Back