What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S.Purpurea is freaking out :(

Why is it making all these deformed pitchers!

xp4j69.jpg

Ignore the dormancy ones from last year.

Could it have something to do with a current fungus attack?

Last edited:
In my experience, which for sarracenia needs to be taken with a grain of salt, the first few pitchers of the season are almost always a bit wonky, and aren't anything to be concerned over. I would advise to just wait, and see if they even out. If you're really concerned, you could try a preliminary treatment of Neem Oil, and see if that does anything.

Yeah, I have to agree and just wait and see what happens... my sarracenias make small pitchers from time to time especially in the beginning of the year.

A sudden change from one growing condition to another will cause the plant to freak out and not produce proper pitchers for a while. This may be from dormant to growing conditions, humidity changes, or lighting changes. Mine go through something like this every year, for about 2 months, then start growing more and more normal pitchers.

What am I looking at here?

All the random small pitchers.

If I understand what you are asking us to look at it looks like you're talking a whole separate growth point off of your mother plant. Nothing wrong with the plant, it's just growing.

oh alright.
I thought it was having some kind of negative response to something.

z5ycl.jpg

Anyway, its put out this many pitchers since...

This doesn't look good.

xp4j69.jpg

34edmjk.jpg

343m4ap.jpg

1da3b.jpg

If these are new growth points, how do I separate them?

Don't separate them. Leave them be; and if you really must, do it next spring before the plants awake from dormancy.

It looks fine, I concur with the others who have mentioned environmental causes. If I get some time I'll shoot pics of the pitchers I have from the early season, our weird weather produced some really goofy growth.

That's normal, it's just making new growth points. Leave them attached, as a dense clump of pitchers is an awesome sight.

Plus with purpurea, the new points will stay close to each other, and are not easily separated. And yes, a massive clump is a sight to behold, especially when it gets a couple hundred pitchers!

Plus with purpurea, the new points will stay close to each other, and are not easily separated. And yes, a massive clump is a sight to behold, especially when it gets a couple hundred pitchers!
That doesn't sound good at all D:

Back