Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outgrown pot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outgrown pot

Well, my Dutch Hybrid has yet again outgrown the pot. It's distorting the pot itself and the pitchers are mutating because it's too cramped. Would it do more harm to leave it, or to split it now when it's in the middle of growing season? (Summer here)

Also, what sort of pot would be more appropriate? I've always had it in a round pot which it fills up very very quickly. Would it prefer a long pot or is huge and round the way to go here?
    I would just repot the whole thing into a larger pot but if I put it in a pot larger than it currently has i'm concerned the whole thing would just consume the house hahaha.

Help?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a Sarracenia or

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i picture would help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Is it a Sarracenia or
    OH yes, sorry, it's a Sar, the infamous random hybrid typical to supermarkets and garden centres.

Let me grab a picture of it:

Honestly, i'm shocked it's as happy as it is on a windowsill. I've had it about 6 years now, started out as a tiny little thing with maybe 3 pitchers on it. Now it's a monster!
    But as you can see, several of the pitchers are distorting due to lack of space. We commonly get pitchers that are bent in the middle or otherwise twisted. And it still has the flowers on right now, I figured i'd leave them alone till they started to die or really get in the way.

What's the consensus here? I'd really rather not kill the poor thing. Somehow it's survived this long, it'd be a bummer to accidently murder it now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on the large amount of flowers, you can bet that next year, just after taking the plant out of dormancy, you can divide it and have at least 8 separate plants. It looks very healthy, congratulations!
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petmantis View Post
    Based on the large amount of flowers, you can bet that next year, just after taking the plant out of dormancy, you can divide it and have at least 8 separate plants. It looks very healthy, congratulations!
    Woah.. that's a lot of plants haha. Too bad we haven't the room or i'd have an army of these little suckers.
    It never actually goes into full dormancy though, not sure if that's a trait of the hybrid itself or the plant being odd but no matter what I try it slows down but never totally goes to sleep. Then it goes nuts when it warms up and throws up massive amounts of growth and a lot of flowers. Every year we get another couple of flowers to add to the crop. It's an impressively robust plant given I have no talent for horticulture at all.

So will it be alright to stay in such cramped conditions till next Spring? Or should I find a larger pot in the interm? I'd need a new bowl heh, a larger pot may not actually fit on the sill.. hmmm. Long pot?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest, quickest thing to do is to merely pull the root ball and medium out of the pot (or cut the pot if needed). Then pop it intact into a larger pot and fill in the gaps with new medium. Minimal root disturbance that way. Then next year you can divide it when it slows down. I suppose you can extend the windowsill with a board weighted down with something heavy like bricks temporarily for a larger bowl and pot.

Incredible color for windowsill growth. How many years have you been growing it?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing plant!

Are you in the burbs or in the city? The UK is quite warm, and given your location in london, it is quite probable that some divisions could survive the winter outdoors if you don't have the room for all of them on your windowsill.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast