What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora minor var. pilosa

Just to let you know guys that i just received my plants, finally. In perfect shape, even with the cold temp outside, with no thermal styro box! Only a plain box.

For 405€ i have:

-Heli minor 'selection 1' (he sent me 2 adults and 6 juveniles plants)
-Heli minor var pilosa
-Heli parva
-Heli pulchella amuri
-Heli nutans yuruani (succulent)
-Nep tenuis (he sent me 2 small rosettes)
-Nep hamata
-Nep faizaliana

Like you butch my pilosa came with 3 adult pitchers, one broken. But very healthy. Brad Wilson told me that the pilosa auyan always have running water on the roots, like darlingtonia. He think thats the reason why the var. pilosa have a 1:1000 ratio with the var. minor on auyan. So i will have to mimic this.
I will post picture soon :)

Last edited:
Here my lil babies :)

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos

Heliamphora parva par dals009, sur Flickr

Heliamphora minor var pilosa (at arrival) par dals009, sur Flickr

Wistuba 2013 Order par dals009, sur Flickr

Heliamphora minor var pilosa par dals009, sur Flickr

Heliamphora nutans yuruani & heliamphora pulchella amuri par dals009, sur Flickr

Heliamphora minor 'selection 1' par dals009, sur Flickr

Heliamphora minor 'selection 1' par dals009, sur Flickr

Nepenthes faizaliana after shipping par dals009, sur Flickr

Nepenthes faizaliana after shipping par dals009, sur Flickr

Nepenthes tenuis after shipping par dals009, sur Flickr

Nepenthes hamata after shipping par dals009, sur Flickr

Nepenthes hamata after shipping par dals009, sur Flickr

I hope everything will grow nicely !

Thanks for watching guys .

Exept the nepenthes faizaliana, all the new plants have new growth !
My parva just explose right now! I count at leats 3 juvenile pitchers growing !
My minor var pilosa have 2 new adult pitchers growing, less than 2 weeks after i received the plants from germany.

And my minors selection 1 have new growth too!

This is SO cool !!!!

I will try to caugh this on some pictures this week-end ! :)

Parva is one of my favs, very nice maiden....

when I first got mine, the pitchers had a "hairlip" for the first six months.... but eventually returned to normal.
just in case you experience the same issue, it is only a temporary problem....
Ive never had any other Heliamphora exhibit such a condition.

Thanks for the info. Your parva is from wistuba ?

Very nice selection of beautiful plants, Maiden. I won a H. parva in he last NASC Auction,
courtesy of the renowned Heliamphora expert, Av8tor1, and it has become my favorite.
Good growing,
Paul

Last edited:
Thanks Paul

I think it will become one of my favorites too!

H. minor var. pilosa question....

Mine is still very small, recovery has been a long road back.
I now have several mature pitchers about an inch and half tall, color and form are good but none are showing any hirsute tendencies yet.... I'm starting to worry.
I know in the official description it mentions the hair is only found on the upper 2/3rd of the pitcher (iirc, I would need to verify that statement so don't quote me)
So wondering if the lack of hair at this stage is normal or if I do have an issue with my plant or my conditions.
Would like to hear from anyone with experience with this species.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
I have had that same experience, to a degree. Mine arrived with a couple of mature pitchers which fit the species bill; but it reverted to juveniles ever since, after a batch of mature leaves with little to no hair.

It could simply be another tissue culture artifact, which has to work itself out; and that can take some real time. That is my hope -- before I make a salad out of the damn thing . . .

Last edited:
well mine is staying in mature mode, but hairless as a naked mole rat after a shave :p
no fuzz no where, neither inside nor outside.... oh well, just keep the faith I guess

what good is a fuzzy sock that isn't fuzzy?

Av: your pilosa came from andreas ?
I have 2 new pitchers growing right now, both with white hair. Its more hairy that i was thinking. The inside of the old pitchers have long hair everywhere, like a pulchella. And i have the plants for only 3 weeks now.
Maybe you dont have the right plant specie?
I have water running on the roots 2 times a day, everyday, because the pilosa grow like that on auyan, according to brad wilson.
Maybe you can try that?

Im pretty sure your plant will produce white fuzz shortly, if not, i will send you a lil division of my plant next spring with pleasure.

I've had one for six months. It arrived with immature pitchers and has only produced a few more -- no uppers.
I just hope it will perk up with time...

Av: your pilosa came from andreas ?
I have 2 new pitchers growing right now, both with white hair. Its more hairy that i was thinking. The inside of the old pitchers have long hair everywhere, like a pulchella. And i have the plants for only 3 weeks now.
Maybe you dont have the right plant specie?
I have water running on the roots 2 times a day, everyday, because the pilosa grow like that on auyan, according to brad wilson.
Maybe you can try that?

Im pretty sure your plant will produce white fuzz shortly, if not, i will send you a lil division of my plant next spring with pleasure.

Maiden,

Yes, Andreas was the source....
I am also a big fan of water running over roots, while I'm not watering twice a day, I completely flood and drain every other day.
Growth rate is getting better all the time, color is good, form is good, plant seems very healthy.... just completely glabrous at the moment. If I don't see hair over the next few months, I will consider other options.
I'm reasonably sure they just need a little time to show their true form, ummm I hope LOL :)

Were yours ever glabrous?

Thank you for your kind offer Maiden... :hail:

I've had one for six months. It arrived with immature pitchers and has only produced a few more -- no uppers.
I just hope it will perk up with time...

I have found mine "needs" regular feeding or growth basically stops....

Last edited:
I have found mine "needs" regular feeding or growth basically stops....

Thanks, Av. I'll get to work on that.

Referred back to Sarraceniaceae of South America and as I thought, it states that " So far, no internmediates between H. minor var. pilosa and H. minor var. minor
have been recorded, even though these two taxa grow sympatrically and often in close proximity..."

That's encouraging, at least.
Paul

Hi,
one of my two clones of minor var. pilosa from Auyan Tepui is also hairless outside or just less hairy, varying from pitcher to pitcher...
My second clone is always very hairy - seems to depend on the clone you have and also on the age of it! ;-)

Cheers
Marc

Hi,
one of my two clones of minor var. pilosa from Auyan Tepui is also hairless outside or just less hairy, varying from pitcher to pitcher...
My second clone is always very hairy - seems to depend on the clone you have and also on the age of it! ;-)

Cheers
Marc

Thanks for the info Marc, good to know there are more than the one clone line.... but sort of bad to know one is less hairy.
Hopefully, its just a matter of age :)

Av

I do think there are different degrees in "hairyness" in fully adult minor var. pilosa plants - but all should get hairy! ;-)

Here are both of my Auyan Tepui clones
8703480582_25a1b8a6eb_o.jpg

Here some more pictures of my hairy clone...
8664477760_1b8503eda8_o.jpg

11012988986_f8b0c48135_o.jpg

And here is a cutting of this plant, with its first pitcher after rooting, which is.... surprisesurprise: hairless!!!
11012889995_7cb9d88abe_o.jpg

Hope this helped you... ;-)

Cheers
Marc

It helps a lot :)
The first pitcher from your cutting could pass as the identical twin to mine in shape and color.

That does ease my concern....

Back