Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Heliamphora minor var. pilosa

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    H. minor var. pilosa question....

Mine is still very small, recovery has been a long road back.
    I now have several mature pitchers about an inch and half tall, color and form are good but none are showing any hirsute tendencies yet.... I'm starting to worry.
    I know in the official description it mentions the hair is only found on the upper 2/3rd of the pitcher (iirc, I would need to verify that statement so don't quote me)
    So wondering if the lack of hair at this stage is normal or if I do have an issue with my plant or my conditions.
    Would like to hear from anyone with experience with this species.

thanks in advance
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 12-15-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had that same experience, to a degree. Mine arrived with a couple of mature pitchers which fit the species bill; but it reverted to juveniles ever since, after a batch of mature leaves with little to no hair.

It could simply be another tissue culture artifact, which has to work itself out; and that can take some real time. That is my hope -- before I make a salad out of the damn thing . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 12-15-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well mine is staying in mature mode, but hairless as a naked mole rat after a shave :P
    no fuzz no where, neither inside nor outside.... oh well, just keep the faith I guess

what good is a fuzzy sock that isn't fuzzy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Av: your pilosa came from andreas ?
    I have 2 new pitchers growing right now, both with white hair. Its more hairy that i was thinking. The inside of the old pitchers have long hair everywhere, like a pulchella. And i have the plants for only 3 weeks now.
    Maybe you dont have the right plant specie?
    I have water running on the roots 2 times a day, everyday, because the pilosa grow like that on auyan, according to brad wilson.
    Maybe you can try that?

Im pretty sure your plant will produce white fuzz shortly, if not, i will send you a lil division of my plant next spring with pleasure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had one for six months. It arrived with immature pitchers and has only produced a few more -- no uppers.
    I just hope it will perk up with time...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    Av: your pilosa came from andreas ?
    I have 2 new pitchers growing right now, both with white hair. Its more hairy that i was thinking. The inside of the old pitchers have long hair everywhere, like a pulchella. And i have the plants for only 3 weeks now.
    Maybe you dont have the right plant specie?
    I have water running on the roots 2 times a day, everyday, because the pilosa grow like that on auyan, according to brad wilson.
    Maybe you can try that?

Im pretty sure your plant will produce white fuzz shortly, if not, i will send you a lil division of my plant next spring with pleasure.
    Maiden,

Yes, Andreas was the source....
    I am also a big fan of water running over roots, while I'm not watering twice a day, I completely flood and drain every other day.
    Growth rate is getting better all the time, color is good, form is good, plant seems very healthy.... just completely glabrous at the moment. If I don't see hair over the next few months, I will consider other options.
    I'm reasonably sure they just need a little time to show their true form, ummm I hope LOL :-)

Were yours ever glabrous?

Thank you for your kind offer Maiden...

Quote Originally Posted by killerplantsguy View Post
    I've had one for six months. It arrived with immature pitchers and has only produced a few more -- no uppers.
    I just hope it will perk up with time...
    I have found mine "needs" regular feeding or growth basically stops....
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 12-15-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    I have found mine "needs" regular feeding or growth basically stops....
    Thanks, Av. I'll get to work on that.

Referred back to Sarraceniaceae of South America and as I thought, it states that " So far, no internmediates between H. minor var. pilosa and H. minor var. minor
    have been recorded, even though these two taxa grow sympatrically and often in close proximity..."

That's encouraging, at least.
    Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please delete

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast