What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora minor var. pilosa

Nice hair buddy, well done!!

For myself, i feed it with DBW each week, and as you can see in my picture, the results are just amazing.

I wrote an article on ICPS website about this.

www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/Feeding/FeedingDBWSBS.php

Anyways, its a very nice plant you got there !

Francois

Last edited:
Paul,

woohoo, very nicely done!!
Most minor and some minor hybrids need regular feeding more than the other species...

You would think it would be the other way around, but they just do...
FWIW, I don't know of any Heliamphora that doesn't respond well to regular feedings...

Butch

Well, I followed Av8tor's advice, and started foliar feeding every couple of weeks. Butch, it worked!
I'm pretty stoked to see this:

1_zps64293b57.jpg

2_zps17a84a55.jpg

Cheers,
Paul

Thank you, Butch and Francois.

Butch, right now I'm using a dilute foliar feeding (Maxsea) on most plants. When I get a chance, I'm going to try the fish pellets.
Your encouragement is most appreciated!

Cheers,
Paul

Butch: are you able to see some hair on your new pitchers ??

Dont forget, my division offer still stand for ya.

Keep me posted man.

Beautiful plants! They look adorable when they are small.

Butch: are you able to see some hair on your new pitchers ??

Dont forget, my division offer still stand for ya.

Keep me posted man.

Maiden,

I'm still waiting to see my plant's true pilosa characteristics to develop....
I have to admit, sometimes I wonder.... but others have told me that it will fuzz up eventually
As much as it cost, if it doesn't fuzz up by end of summer, I'll alert Andreas to a possible issue.

Thanks for the kind offer, maybe when it warms up a bit we can do a little trading.

Butch

updated pic from few mins ago:

pilosa_hf.jpg

as you can see, its still as bald as James Carville
hehehehehe

Strange.

All my new h.pilosa pitchers are yellowish fuzzy pitchers, even with massive lighting. I cannot bring them to red coloration like your plant.

Also, your pilosa have no nectar spoon ?

h.minor var pilosa par dals009, sur Flickr

h.minor var pilosa par dals009, sur Flickr

Its hard to see because of the lighting, but this plant is very hairy. I will take better pictures later this week.

Butch, after a talk with andreas, i start to think your pilosa is from cerro la luna, and the one i grow is from auyan.

Last edited:
well, I dunno... but a glabrous H. minor var pilosa is a 150€ H. minor to me regardless of location data....
I'm not ready to call Andreas yet.... but starting to have serious doubts
sort of ironic in that my quest for fuzzy socks was so well known, then to end up with a sock that isn't fuzzy.

The missing nectar spoon is sort of expected, I moved it to a different location that is brighter but less humid a while back.
Figured I would try something different

I am sure Andreas will fix up the mixup B. 150EUR is a crazy lot of money to get a non-hairy bald heli. :p<textarea id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display: none;"></textarea>

I am sure Andreas will fix up the mixup B. 150EUR is a crazy lot of money to get a non-hairy bald heli. :p<textarea id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display: none;"></textarea>

yep old friend... I emailed Andreas this morning.
sigh.... 18 months invested in this plant.

oh well, stuff happens to the best of us.

Now that is customer service, took 3 mins to get response...

a replacement will be issued, a very public thank you to Andreas Wistuba

What a coincidence... I also emailed Andreas this morning regarding my pilosa and he took care of it right away. Butch, unlike yours, mine hasn't grown at all. It has been in suspended animation for the past 18 months while the surrounding Helis have been doing fine. Looking forward to actually growing some "fuzzy socks". :)

Im happy for you guys.

I hope you will get the right plant this time.

Growing the wrong plant for 2 years is pretty sad :/

What a coincidence... I also emailed Andreas this morning regarding my pilosa and he took care of it right away. Butch, unlike yours, mine hasn't grown at all. It has been in suspended animation for the past 18 months while the surrounding Helis have been doing fine. Looking forward to actually growing some "fuzzy socks". :)

Im happy for you guys.

I hope you will get the right plant this time.

Growing the wrong plant for 2 years is pretty sad :/

I was very pleased with Andreas' response, next one is suppose to he hand selected by him.
Hopefully our previous experience and reaction to it results in good fuzzy sock Karma for both Don :)

His warranty is the best out there.

I was very pleased with Andreas' response, next one is suppose to he hand selected by him.
Hopefully our previous experience and reaction to it results in good fuzzy sock Karma for both Don :)
I hope he picks out some hairy buggers for the both of us. :)

Here's the pic I sent Andreas of my pilosa. It's just sitting there taunting me since June 2012.

His warranty is the best out there.
I agree. Almost 2 years later and he's still making good on his warranty after the customs delay.
Thanks Andreas!

@Av8tor1: I still think you're minor var. pilosa is a true one - it even seems to have some first adult pitchers. Tried to convince you many times, but maybe you're not so patient to wait for some more adult pitchers which carry the fuzzy characteristics...
My plant is extremely hairy, but the first adult pitchers are always hairless outside! :nono:

Marc i have to disagree. My pilosa push me a very fuzzy first pitcher.

How can you say 'always' ? you have a 10 years experience with this specie? Do you grow hundred of them?

Every seedling is unique, and some are just hairless, or have genetic problem.

After 2 years, with the growing skills of theses two guys, its clearly a genetic issue.

Last edited:
Back