Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gahhhhh WTF!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gahhhhh WTF!!!!!

Just got rid of mealy bugs now I have some weird larva or worm that eats new growth and leaves this behind
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I've been treating pretty heavily with this. It seems to have killed everything except these
    Maybe a pyrethrin would work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about what's eating the new growth, but that white stuff is actually spider web. It looks like an ant mimic, which is small and black.

Good luck catching the real culprit!
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had something similar in a ceph pot, turned out to be some sort of insect larvae. i used neem oil on the plant, which did not work. i ended up waiting for the buggers to come up out of the soil and grabbed em with tweezers.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that stuff all over my sphagnum cultures! Perhaps that spider like wet, humid places? What I did to get rid of it was flood the sphagnum cultures for a few hours daily and manual removal of the webs afterwards and the problem went away. However, you must be sure to let it drain out for a few days and still stay moist but not have a lot of water in it, otherwise it will grow mold.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be the Light Brown Apple Moth larvae. These are particularly voracious and will eat Sarracenia pitcher leaves but seem to have a preference for Drosera. They make silk tents like that at the base of the plants and on top of the soil. If you search you can find a tube that the larvae hides in. They will also freeze if on the leaves making it difficult to spot them. I've lost two pots of D. paradoxa due to them and had D. graomogolensis devestated.

Here's one hiding in the chewed out area on a Drosera filiformis var tracyii

Here it is after I disturbed it and it dropped to the ground and tried to imitate a twig. If you look closely at the picture you can see its silk "safety" line. Actually it makes a fair imitation of a D. filiformis leaf.

Most effective control is just to remove it manually. The difficult part is spotting them and catching them. They move pretty quick when alarmed. Otherwise knock 'em down quickly with pyrethrim. And use BT or Spinosad to take care of the ones you can't see.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly them. I have seen a few but they are fast! Thank you. I'll look at those.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    find um and feed to plants . after squishing or chopping up. if not they get lose and eat way free.... I think I have seen them on most of the common CP genera. Hate when they get into nep flowers. caused a flower stalk full of seeds to crash prematurely.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its spider mites your in trouble usually by the time you can see the webs that bad. Its usually on the tops on crevices they start their nests and spread over your whole grow area killing everything. Doctor doom works, but its poisonousness so you need to air it out a little bit. Hot shot pest strips also works well. You cant manually kill spider mites fast enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast