What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of Sarr seed did you collect this season??

lil hokie

heatherfeather knows the weather!
So since I am pretty much obsessed with Sarrs and only had one flower pop up this season I want to be nosy.
What crosses did you make this year?

Im still waiting on 3-4 pods to dry up, but I collected 3 the other day... "Hank" x 'Adrian Slack'(WOOT!), purp montana x "Doreen's Colossus", and oreophila x rubricorpora "best clone"..

Those sound awesome! Especially the first two.

I made S. alata x S. 'Matoaka'
S. alata 'Areolata' x S. 'Matoaka'
S. alabamensis ssp. alabamensis x S. 'Matoaka'
S. rubra ssp. gulfensis f. viridescens x S. 'Matoaka'
S. 'Lemon' x S. 'Matoaka'
S. oreophila Open Pollinated
and I've got a bunch of unknown crosses like 200+ seed worth

I had the first 3 pods crack today from S. Appalachain Spring and S. rubra jonesii. The Appalachain Spring pod is an attempeted cross with S. oreophila; the 2 rubra jonesii pods are an attempted cross with Appalachain Spring (backcross). However, mesh got wiped out by weather while they may have been still fertile, so just call them open pollinated, haha.

Still to go are more S. rubra jonesii, Judith Hindle, flava, S. rehderi, and alata x minor, all open pollinated.

bunch of S. leucophylla Hurricane Creek,AL, leucophylla red x HC,AL, flava ornata x flava copper top

Empty pod after empty pod here.

The 'summer' was so relentlessly cold and wet here, it seems have affected seed production. Worst summer since 1956 here actually. Yuck!

The 'summer' was so relentlessly cold and wet here, it seems have affected seed production. Worst summer since 1956 here actually. Yuck!

:cry: Hoping you get a bumper crop next year!

Lots of purp x flava, but then I forgot the seeds in my refrigerator when I moved out of my apartment.....

Oh man that is a bummer.

Lots of purp x flava, but then I forgot the seeds in my refrigerator when I moved out of my apartment.....

That is even more of a bummer!!

I made a lot of crosses and am in the process of collecting seed. Here are some of the notable ones:

-purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana X flava var ornata
-flava var ornata X catesbeai [flytrapshop]
-'Judith Hindle' X purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana
-purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana X oreophila "Alabama"
-purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana X catesbeai [flytrapshop]
-purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana X oreophila "Alabama"

Yeah, lots of montana crosses. :)

Mostly purpurea and rubra hybrids for me. I have some Frogman x purpurea seeds that i'm excited about.

Frogman x purp does sound exciting!!

I had only one flower survive this season - Leah Wilkerson. Surprisingly, there were lots of seeds in that pod.

Back