What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H. minor "Burgundy Black" & H. minor var. pilosa

nope, not yet.... but getting closer

;-)

Thanks! I received a small adult division from Andreas in April 2012.

The golden pollen is not ready to harvest yet. :-D

Thanks, Travis. Here's a bad pic of the whole plant in bloom.

I've been thinking about supplementing my T5s with an LED for some time now. I finally purchased a Kessil H150 purple and decided to focus the light directly onto the "Burgundy Black" to see if it will deepen the color with more intense light and cool temps.

Smaller than a soda can

Under T5

Under T5 + LED

The lights are about 6 inches above the plant. We'll see how it goes.

cool looking light, spectrophotocolorimeter graph?

Here's a pic from the side of the box.

Kessil makes different spectrum models:
Blue - vegetative growth
Red - bloom booster
Purple - General purpose with plant growth emphasis
Magenta - General purpose with flowering emphasis

Do you think the additional LED will help with color since the plant is already getting plenty of light without it?

Beautiful Don. Wow. That is one spectacular plant. I have read very good things about the kessil led in aquarium hobby.

Thanks, vraev. Yeah, I've also read a lot good things about them being used in reef tanks. They have an "A" series for aquarium applications and "H" series for horticulture. We'll see how it goes...

Looking good buddy..

Go guys are giving me heli fever again. Very nery nice plants guys.

Don: great spectrum, i look foward for the results.... Even if your burgundy-black is already perfect !

Josh: go ahead :) helis are magic !

I get good colouration on Heliamphora from relatively cheap (~$20) LED grow lights:

H. minor

H. collina(Venamo) X H. minor var. pilosa Cerro de la Lun‏a
Still a baby, but showing good colouration potential.

Very nice Carl, as always

H. collina(Venamo) X H. minor var. pilosa Cerro de la Lun‏a looks very promising :)

Nice colors mobile! Well done :)

Do you have a minor var pilosa or a burgundy-black? Theses species/cultivar are so hot :)

Congrats on your first mature "BB" pitcher, Maiden. I look forward to seeing how the color develops for you.

mobile - Those are great colors on your minor! What LED brand/wattage are you using?

Nice colors mobile! Well done :)

Do you have a minor var pilosa or a burgundy-black? Theses species/cultivar are so hot :)

Unfortunately no. Sorry, I realise that I have taken the thread slightly off topic, but it went onto the subject of Heliamphora colouration under LED lights, so thought it might be of value to show my results, albeit with different Heliamphora.

mobile - Those are great colors on your minor! What LED brand/wattage are you using?

No specific brand, Chinese made lamps off ebay.

15 x 1W LEDs, ratio:10(Red):4(Blue):1(white) for the H. minor

12 x 1W LEDs, ratio:7(Red):3(Blue):2(white) for the H. collina x H. minor var. pilosa

LoL
Carl dont get me wrong, your plant is a minor var pilosa hybrid, so you are not off topic, and your results are amazing. Its a very interesting cross!

For your minor var minor, i had very good red coloration last year, but i think the cold winter nights help a lot.

Heliamphora minor auyan

heliamphora minor

Last edited:
So gorgeous. Maybe in a few years of CP experience I will be ready for heliamphora

if you want one Sarah get one,its easy to listen to people who make things out to be a fine science and be put off.Get a cheap one (that is known to be an easy grower) and see how you get on.There are some that have success growing them on their windowsills

Last edited:
Like cory said, its pretty easy. Heli can be unkillable beasts under the good growing conditions.

Back