User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarr purpurea ssp. venosa dormancy questions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dunno. I see differences with cold requirements for purpurea purpurea vs purpurea venosa. purpurea venosa and inter population hybrids seem to do well for me in my are with really limited cold or anything that can compare to a long cool winter. OTOH purpurea purpurea looks like I might need to pop into the refrigerator to keep happy. does well for a year or two at the most then declines. I cant say that one tolerates more cold than the other, but sure looking like one might need more chilling hours than the other to survive and bloom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Kula: I was curious what your local conditions do for "winter" over there? Is there any noticible temp or light changes? Would you say your purps from either sub-species slow down or stop growth for your "winter"?
    I am very interested in your situation there in the tropics!
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. Sub tropical location. But high elevation and micro climate that included morning and evening sun blocked by two mountain ranges. Helps me to get short days. And cool climate. But not constant 40s in the winter. Between zone 10-9. Overnight will drop down to mid 30's at the coldest but days back up to 60-70 range.

Right now they are going dormant pitchers drying up. Phyllodia forming. Everything slowing down. Purps slow down and don't lose pitchers

Last edited by kulamauiman; 10-21-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to interrupt; Question about this species!

I have one, but the leaves no longer take the funnel shape... They remain flat and grass-like, always green... Not even noticeable venation...

Lack of light? Some sort of winter dormancy that abandons production of traps?
    SEELE 1
    Vistit my artblog:
    Eva Posers
    or my devianART

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Kula: Thanks so much for the vid response! What a collection!
    How long generally before the newly located plants are not "confused" as to the season?

@ SEELE: Sounds like a question for the pro's. I would guess a lighting/ dormancy problem for sure.
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Shortbus;1098747]@ Kula: Thanks so much for the vid response! What a collection!
    How long generally before the newly located plants are not "confused" as to the season?

Might take a year in my conditions to re sync with the "real seasons". I try to move them out in the summer. hoping for long days, warm conditions to be about the same as grow room. But dunno. some times it works some times it doesn't. Plants have their own ideas sometimes

@ SEELE: same species as in S. purpurea venosa? very odd. the only ones I know that my phylloidia or phyllodiform leaves are flava, oreophilla, leucophylla and rubra complex respectively, I think most people would need to see a pic or have a better description of your growing area to have a better chance of making any sort of diagnosis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SEELE1 View Post
    Sorry to interrupt; Question about this species!

I have one, but the leaves no longer take the funnel shape... They remain flat and grass-like, always green... Not even noticeable venation...

Lack of light? Some sort of winter dormancy that abandons production of traps?
    How long have you had it?
    where is it growing?
    light levels?
    has it received any kind of dormancy since you have had it?

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, pic for an accurate diagnosis...
    As you see, leaves are flat but rather abundant...
    I has been receiving less sunlight than it used too since "the thing" ate all my other plants...
    I have moved it to a sunnier location now...
    No dormancy so far (bought it in May, if I recall right), live in Boca del Rio, Mexico, temperatures this time of the year are about 25 to 30 Celsius...
    SEELE 1
    Vistit my artblog:
    Eva Posers
    or my devianART

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast