User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarr purpurea ssp. venosa dormancy questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarr purpurea ssp. venosa dormancy questions.

Hey everybody, this is sort of an opinion question but a pitcher plant's life may be on the line here.....so I greatly appreciate the feedback!
    I currently have two S. purp ssp. venosa plants that are wondering what my plans are for dealing with an Iowa winter. They are potted in 10+ gal. "bog" pots which have summered outdoors with various other "hardier" bog plants. Due to the severe winters here in Iowa, I am devising a cold storage area in our unfinished basement for the bogs.
    I am sure that, for at liest the purpurea, this will be an ok resting place for the winter. However I am known to "fix" things that aren't broken on a frequent basis. Now back to the pitcher plants: How much liberty can be taken with the dormancy requirements of the ssp. venosa?
    I would like to attempt to keep the smaller of these plants in a greenhouse with my Drosera that will NOT be getting any special dormancy treatment. I don't know that my intent is to skip dormancy, but more a greedy experiment to enable me to enjoy the plant up-close and personal on a daily basis.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with keeping ssp. venosa in a terrarium or like environment through what should be it's dormancy?

Here is a photo of the larger plant
    Last edited by Keith; 12-23-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purps are tough plants. It should be able to survive outside with minimal protection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I though the ssp. venosa was a little more "warm blooded" than the ssp. purpurea? We almost always sustain temps in the 10's and teens every winter.
    My Grow/Want Lists

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unheated basement with some light should work fine , as long as it goes down in the 40f's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the greenhouse heated?
    if so, I wouldn't keep a purp in it for the winter..much too warm..
    your basement idea sounds best..
    how cool will it be in the basement over the winter?
    ideally you want 35 to 45 degrees all winter..
    If its not much cooler than the heated parts of your house..say 65 degrees in the basement,
    that is too warm..

so, more info needed!
    winter temps in the greenhouse? winter temps in the basement?

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @scotty: Yes the greenhouse is to be a tropical paradise year-round. It is basically a rack shelf in a "bag". This is where everything w/out a dormancy requirement will be for winter. Averages 85 degrees during the day with a drop into the low 70's and 60's at night. Humidity is fairly stable at 90%.

The basement measured out to 40-45 degrees last winter and that was with no design to keep the "cool" in. This year I am going to work out some sort of enclosure to keep the cool in.

I know the sarr's including the purps need dormancy, but recently I have read a few things that suggested ssp. venosa for terrarium use. They seemed to suggest that it might be possible for the plant to still achieve some sort of a dormancy/rest while in less than ideal conditions for it.
    My Grow/Want Lists

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly the subspecies can handle the cold equally as well, which is one reason I don't believe the subspecies designation is invalid. "ssp. venosa" ranges up to New Jersey, which can get pretty cold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basement good.
    Greenhouse bad.

I know the sarr's including the purps need dormancy, but recently I have read a few things that suggested ssp. venosa for terrarium use. They seemed to suggest that it might be possible for the plant to still achieve some sort of a dormancy/rest while in less than ideal conditions for it.
    Ideal = 35 to 45 all winter.
    less than ideal = 45 to 55 all winter.
    So far from ideal it's not even on the same planet as ideal = inside a tropical greenhouse all winter.

Scot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast