Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Heliamphora . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where on earth did you get pilosa seeds ? Wait......I don't want to know. Great job !

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David,

We all know of those Heliamphora clone lines that seem to refuse to mature and stay in clump division mode.
    Could this be due to someone's faulty TC protocols?

If so, can anything be done to correct?

(assuming no, but thought i would ask.... forgive me if this is a silly question )
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 11-26-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    David,

We all know of those Heliamphora clone lines that seem to refuse to mature and stay in clump division mode.
    Could this be due to someone's faulty TC protocols?

If so, can anything be done to correct?

(assuming no, but thought i would ask.... forgive me if this is a silly question )
    One of the issues with the "multiplication phase" of micropropagation (and where TC realistically begins), is with the development and maintenance of callus tissue.

In the broadest sense, a callus is a result of wounding -- either from taking a cutting from an intact plant, planted conventionally in compost; or from one formed through the tissue culture process and the use of plant growth regulators. Callus is undifferentiated tissue of meristematic and unspecialized cells, some capable of giving rise to various morphogenetic processes (producing leaves, roots, etc.); or else the calli may simply be honeycombed with vacuoles of "storage materials" -- starches in particular; and they can vary in their capacity to produce new plants, organs, or mature leaves.

Potential "epigenetic" differences (genetic variability) may also arise in callus culture, depending upon the age and origin of the tissue (particularly whether it is of a single, specialized tissue type or some combination); or, even which growth phase the tissue was undergoing at the time it was initially cultured. Variability is more common in tissue comprised of more than one type of cell. Friable calli are more disorganized (often composed of many tissue types) and more commonly give rise to different call strains than compact calli, composed of, say, a single type of plant tissue (meristematic, for example).

Callus tissue can be maintained for years, though the concern with potential genetic alteration increases with age; so, tissue cultured plants may actually vary to some degree from its "parent." Not all clones are apparently created equally . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that response was sitting in a mayonnaise jar on funk and wagnals porch since noon today
    ummmmmm, glad we have you, ol' wise one from the west

Av hands BB a Guinness.... Butch goes back to coloring, i made a pretty!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that response was sitting in a mayonnaise jar on funk and wagnals porch since noon today

The man's far too kind; I just baffled you with bull******; didn't wish to admit that it's all a colossal crap shoot and the flinging of number two pencils into acoustical ceiling tiles; that, and it's hard to shrug online . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're colouring, I'm actually eating the crayons over here. I hear blue tastes good..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, you can get one for 150 euro, but only with a minimum 250 euro order with the hun...

(iirc)
    I don't think he would appreciate being called that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Hun" is an offensive slur. I bit my tongue when David used it in his bizarre retroactive declaration of victory, but this is a bad trend. How about we just don't use slurs here?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast