What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Heliamphora . . .

did you have to have a permit to excange abroad

Here is a recent update on yet another culture, which, thankfully, continues to germinate . . .

Heliamphora minor var. pilosa 23 November
pilosa.jpg

sweet. oh sweet...awesome progress David!

Where on earth did you get pilosa seeds ? Wait......I don't want to know. Great job !

David,

We all know of those Heliamphora clone lines that seem to refuse to mature and stay in clump division mode.
Could this be due to someone's faulty TC protocols?

If so, can anything be done to correct?

(assuming no, but thought i would ask.... forgive me if this is a silly question :) )

Last edited:
David,

We all know of those Heliamphora clone lines that seem to refuse to mature and stay in clump division mode.
Could this be due to someone's faulty TC protocols?

If so, can anything be done to correct?

(assuming no, but thought i would ask.... forgive me if this is a silly question :) )

One of the issues with the "multiplication phase" of micropropagation (and where TC realistically begins), is with the development and maintenance of callus tissue.

In the broadest sense, a callus is a result of wounding -- either from taking a cutting from an intact plant, planted conventionally in compost; or from one formed through the tissue culture process and the use of plant growth regulators. Callus is undifferentiated tissue of meristematic and unspecialized cells, some capable of giving rise to various morphogenetic processes (producing leaves, roots, etc.); or else the calli may simply be honeycombed with vacuoles of "storage materials" -- starches in particular; and they can vary in their capacity to produce new plants, organs, or mature leaves.

Potential "epigenetic" differences (genetic variability) may also arise in callus culture, depending upon the age and origin of the tissue (particularly whether it is of a single, specialized tissue type or some combination); or, even which growth phase the tissue was undergoing at the time it was initially cultured. Variability is more common in tissue comprised of more than one type of cell. Friable calli are more disorganized (often composed of many tissue types) and more commonly give rise to different call strains than compact calli, composed of, say, a single type of plant tissue (meristematic, for example).

Callus tissue can be maintained for years, though the concern with potential genetic alteration increases with age; so, tissue cultured plants may actually vary to some degree from its "parent." Not all clones are apparently created equally . . .

that response was sitting in a mayonnaise jar on funk and wagnals porch since noon today
ummmmmm, glad we have you, ol' wise one from the west :)

Av hands BB a Guinness.... Butch goes back to coloring, i made a pretty!

that response was sitting in a mayonnaise jar on funk and wagnals porch since noon today

The man's far too kind; I just baffled you with bullscheiß; didn't wish to admit that it's all a colossal crap shoot and the flinging of number two pencils into acoustical ceiling tiles; that, and it's hard to shrug online . . .

If you're colouring, I'm actually eating the crayons over here. I hear blue tastes good..

no, you can get one for 150 euro, but only with a minimum 250 euro order with the hun...

(iirc)
I don't think he would appreciate being called that!

"Hun" is an offensive slur. I bit my tongue when David used it in his bizarre retroactive declaration of victory, but this is a bad trend. How about we just don't use slurs here?

Come on, Mike. I get you're from Portland, but it's that sort of quixotic attitude towards political correctness that is gentrifying the Albina District. Some things should be laughed off.

I'm not sure how Andreas feels about a history that is seemingly irrelevant to him, but it doesn't bother me when people make facetious remarks about Australians all being bred from criminals. You've gotta laugh this stuff off..

I'm not sure how Andreas feels about a history that is seemingly irrelevant to him, but it doesn't bother me when people make facetious remarks about Australians all being bred from criminals. You've gotta laugh this stuff off..
G'day mate! :D I'll ask Andreas if I meet him again ;)

G'day mate! :D I'll ask Andreas if I meet him again ;)

Let him know that I'll throw a snag on the barby for him, if he brings the well-endowed, steinkrug-carrying frauleins.

This fraulein will bring the barby.

Congrats on the seeds, Bella. Can't wait to see then grow up.

C'mon people, it was simply a friendly jab at the guy; and he and I are on good terms -- have been for years. It was once called h-u-m-o-r, before the rise of the political court eunuchs, all of whom would like our language as absent of expression, as are their balls. I would also suggest that the the notion that "Hun" is considered a slur should approach any number of Eastern European organizations (or countries, for that matter), all of whom love to claim Hunnic origins. After all, who would not desire to be a descendant of Attila?

This all pervasive effort at political correctness is yet another reason why members of this forum are leaving to begin their own elsewhere. No one should be "biting their tongue." If I have offended anyone, rat me out if you so desire; or challenge me on it . . .

Come on, Mike. I get you're from Portland, but it's that sort of quixotic attitude towards political correctness that is gentrifying the Albina District. Some things should be laughed off.

Down here in Alabama, where I live, they just voted to maintain segregated schools in the state constitution. I don't think there's anything funny about that, primarily because it's not funny. It's straightforwardly evil. I don't think hate is funny, so I'm not going to just laugh it off. There aren't any windmills here, but there is hate. Do I really have to rebut the idea that slurs are okay because they are funny or just don't matter or may inexplicably cause gentrification? I'm astounded that this is controversial, so I'm going to say it again: how about we just don't use slurs here?

To put the records straight, my comment was meant to be light hearted, in the same way as my 'G'day mate' comment and by no means trying to have a go at anyone for political correctness... which I hope Butch took as meant. I am sorry if it has caused dismay in what was an otherwise a very good thread.

It was once called h-u-m-o-r, before the rise of the political court eunuchs, all of whom would like our language as absent of expression, as are their balls.
Them's fightin' words.

Hilarious fightin' words :jester:

Back