What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Heliamphora . . .

facepalm....

My apologies to the community for using a term that may be considered in poor taste...
It was not my intention to cause a conflict or hurt anyones feelings...

What is or isnt offensive can vary greatly from place to place or person to person...
I did not intend it to be taken in that context.
He and I have a very good business relationship and he has always treated me well.
I used it to state who the vendor was without using a vendor's name.

I hold no malice toward anyone in the CP community, even though some try my patience sometimes :)
So if I have offended anyone, please accept my apologies...

nuff said please, let the thread die now....

To put the records straight, my comment was meant to be light hearted, in the same way as my 'G'day mate' comment and by no means trying to have a go at anyone for political correctness... which I hope Butch took as meant. I am sorry if it has caused dismay in what was an otherwise a very good thread.

Mobile, I took it for what it was (I got it); and to put the record straight for all here, there was no "bizarre retroactive declaration of victory." It was clowning around on a public forum that, in recent times, has taken itself faaaar too seriously for its own good. I have been a member in good standing for several years and we've clowned around about most everything on one occasion or another; and I don't recall experiencing this level of rampant pussification since I joined.

Does the more-than-occasional suggestion, from a few, that I am mobbed-up, due to my heritage bother me? Or Butch's alteration of my avatar to resemble the logo from The Godfather cause me to lose sleep? Or the offer by one to ship me a bottle of "Dago Red" for Christmas? Can we still say "Christmas" by the way; or is that somehow excluding?

I am not wringing my hands; just taking numbers (heh, heh, heh . . .)

No one should be "biting their tongue." If I have offended anyone, rat me out if you so desire; or challenge me on it . . .

Okay.
1. Who are you referring to with this slur? What were you expressing with the slur that couldn't have been expressed without the slur?

2. If this slur is "a friendly jab", why do you go on to propose a make-believe world where "hun" is actually an honorific? Is it a "jab" or are you sticking with the imaginary honorific story?

3. Can you name any actual person who you characterize as "a court eunuch" that has cruelly attempted to deprive you of your expressive, humorous slur language? Are you quite certain that you need to slur all Germans to express this dubious humor? Why? (Seriously David, name one person on this planet who "would like our language" to be "absent of expression." Do you notice your pattern of retreating to the imaginary when called on your bullsh%t?)

4. "This all pervasive effort at political correctness is yet another reason why members of this forum are leaving to begin their own elsewhere." You can't have your slur toys so you're going to play elsewhere? I'm sure cp growers everywhere are terrified by this bold threat. Instead of conjuring an imaginary effort to deprive you of self expression, why not just defend the position that you need to use slurs to express yourself?

5. Since we're on the subject of crazy talk, what "game" do you reckon you've beaten any German at?

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...-in-der-Zeit-quot-right-here&highlight=inseln

Wistuba cloned purpurascens and distributed it globally at least 7 years ago. So why are you heckling Germans with your tiny purpurascens sprout in 2012? Couldn't you be proud of sprouting a seed without using slurs or making absurd claims?

It's not a matter of opinion whether 'hun' is an offensive slur when applied to a German person:

Hun [huhn] Show IPA
noun
a member of a nomadic and warlike Asian people who devastated or controlled large parts of eastern and central Europe and who exercised their greatest power under Attila in the 5th century a.d.
( often lowercase ) a barbarous, destructive person; vandal.
Disparaging and Offensive.
a.
a German soldier in World War I or II.
b.
a German.

i can answer 5 for you.
Wistuba is currently the only, i repeat THE ONLY ready and easy source for rarer obtaining exotic species of heliamphora to the States. im not talking about the common species like heterodoxa, minor, nutans, tatei, and their hybrids...every other single heliamphora species must be obtained through Wistuba. Wistuba essentially has a monopoly on Heliamphora. Other vendors, US or European, have nowhere near the selection that he offers, and even if they did, there needs to be tons of paper work to properly import them into the States. He also gets to decide how much his plants go for since no one else can really compete with him.

I dont know about you, but it would be nice to obtain rarer species of heliamphora from a local US source than shipping my money to Germany...

but anywho, that's my two cents.

"Take a stress pill," as HAL famously said . . .

The only goal, Mike, was to eventually have an alternative American source for Heliamphora, aside from the sporadic schmee-bay marketplace or occasionally problematical imports from Germany or the formal Czech Republic; it wasn't to be seen as a pissing contest -- just a bit of good-natured fun; and I am well-aware of when Wistuba released his plants. I have several from that very release; and I should have more seed from those very plants by Spring. Maybe I'll even send you some, if you un-clinch and play nice.

Nor am I heckling Germans, since I studied the language throughout college and embrace its arts and accomplishments to nth degree. Wistuba and I have corresponded for years and he's been most helpful -- especially when I went from animal to plant tissue culture more than a decade ago. It's just a bit of fun, Mike; un-clinch the buttocks and stop the wringing of the hands. Get me thrown off, if you desire; or, alternatively, depose me, in a lawyer-like manner, on every line, tossed off in a couple of minutes after vino, in an informal forum for hobbyists.

Mike, I am enjoying a glass of Dago-Red this very moment, with some grilled sardines. The wine came as a present from an Austrian-Swiss neighbor, who described it in those words. Should I slap Dagmar and take offense; should I feel belittled? Should I brow-beat her that "dago" is a slur; or should I joke that Austrians love to claim that Hitler was German and Beethoven, Austrian? We have a fun little rivalry, my neighbors -- and that's all it is; no grand conspiracy; no racist cabal; not a masonic symbol to be seen. Just a f***ing laugh!

I understand the bitterness you may have of having to leave the zenith of Western coffee civilization that is Seattle for the supposed "medievelism" of the South; but don't take it out on us, who are having a good bit of fun, growing surprisingly unimportant creepy little plants -- and occasionally poking fun at one another . . .

Last edited:
I'm saddened by your affinity for the patently false, for obvious red herrings, and for the imaginary. The "humor" continues to escape me. You seem to be urging me not to take your ridiculous claims seriously. No problem there. But since you refuse to actually defend your use of slurs, how about we just don't use slurs here?

I'm saddened by your affinity for the patently false, for obvious red herrings, and for the imaginary. The "humor" continues to escape me. You seem to be urging me not to take your ridiculous claims seriously. No problem there. But since you refuse to actually defend your use of slurs, how about we just don't use slurs here?

In case you don't recognize him by his pointy hat, that's Attila the Hun on my avatar, just for you, my friend; to freshen things up a bit. The headpiece resembled the famed German Pickelhaube (I have one on a shelf) of the Weimar years and before; hence, hun, hun, hun, for those of you from public school.

Not red herring; grilled sardines; don't even get me started on the Norwegians . . .

I thought we were talking about Heliamphora. ???

mike, do you ever run into walls with your nose so high up in the air? :crazy:

Mikewilder, he has explained himself, apologized, and in general tried to make good with YOU and everyone else.

Let. It. BE. Please!

I, for one, want to talk about Heliamphora seeds.

Peace out.

off-topic.jpg

I have to remember that pic.
Anyway, it is obvious this Mike guy is a troll (48 posts since 2002?) so can we please get back to daily updates of the rare, stunning, and fairly priced heli?

The pilosa seems to be growing pretty quickly. It'll be curious to see if that variant is just as easy to grow as normal minor.

The pilosa seems to be growing pretty quickly. It'll be curious to see if that variant is just as easy to grow as normal minor.
Maybe it's because my pilosa from Andreas is still recovering from the last shipping ordeal but it's growing slow. At least it has thrown out a few new pitchers.

My minor var. minor has made 3 leaves on 3 different growing points since I got it in August. Not fast, but quicker than expected.

Never fear cp fans, I definitely don't need to spend time here. It's unfortunate that anyone feels that their time was wasted by my proposal that we not use slurs on this public plant forum. Peace--

This is a really cool thread to follow, David, congrats on your successes! Can't wait to see how your pilosa seedlings turn out.

Mike, it's not so much your proposal as the way this "problem" you have has been handled and completely blown out of proportion. No harm was intended on anyone's part... IT'S A JOKE! And by the way, :offtopic:

Last edited:
Heliamphora minor var. pilosa is my favourite Heliamphora right now.

Back