User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia cool water question (also, sarracenia seedling question)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darlingtonia cool water question (also, sarracenia seedling question)

Most of the information on Darlingtonia says that they need cool water running over their roots. Maybe they don't need cool water so much as a good supply of oxygen to their roots. Cool water has higher oxygen content that room temperature water. Has anyone ever tried growing Darlingtonia with an air bubbler in the pot? Has anyone tried growing any CP with an air bubbler in the pot? I have read that several people don't keep their plant's roots cool and the plant grows well. I have also read that people say if you get the soil mixture right, keeping the roots cool isn't that big of an issue.

My question on Sarracenia seedlings is, if the seedlings are grown for 2 years with the lights on 24/7 and no dormancy, when they are finally put through dormancy (ie, a modified cooling system to get the temperature low enough), could the lights still be left on 24/7? I know that sometimes, changes in photoperiod can cause plants to enter dormancy. And can older Sarracenia plants be grown with lights on 24/7?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dormancy is triggered by shorter photoperiod more than drop in temperature, but sarrs need a combination both for proper dormancy. Chances are a 24/7 photoperiod will not allow the plants to go dormant even if the temps are lowered.

My darlingtonia in a setup where there is constant water flowing through the roots from a pond don't get cool water in summer, so I think it is the oxygenation from constant water flow that is the most important as they grow very well in those conditions. My darlingtonia in the bog and pots don't grow as well or fast just getting water poured over them a couple times a day, but they do okay. Cool water does keep the roots from over-heating in pots, but a top dressing of moss helps keep the roots from overheating also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of doing some experiments then. Maybe do 2 batches of sarracenia seedlings and when they go into dormancy, one batch gets 8 hours with the lights on and the second batch gets 24/7.

What if darlingtonia were grown in a very airy soil mix like orchid bark but the pot was being kept tray method and had water halfway up the pot but had a bubbler in the bottom of the pot to constantly pump oxygen through the pot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only wonder if the bubbler would cause the media to shift and compact over time, disturbing the roots. Don't give that theory too much credence though. It's just a hunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i actually have a water pump pump water through the soil and it loves it
    oh forgot dormancy beter get to it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil Sheridan at Meadowview Biological Research station has done experiments to see if 24/7 lighting really boosts the growth of sarracenia seedlings. He compared seedlings on a 16 hour photoperiod to the ones with continuous lighting and found that there were NO significant differences in growth rate, and the seedlings with a 16 hour photoperiod were just as vigorous as those with a continuous photoperiod. Photosynthesis consists of light mediated reactions (which we all know of), as well as "dark reactions", where the final products of photosynthesis are synthesised without the need for light. So, plants aren't innactive durring the dark cycle, and really most plants benefit from having a daily dark cycle.

Moral of the story: Don't waste your electricity! Some controled plant experiments will use a 18 hour photoperiod to raise plants, but anything over that will be a waste, and 16 hours is plenty.

Also, durring dormancy a little light is beneficial, but they are not actively growing and sure as heck don't need lights on continuously!!! I would say 10 hours MAX during dormancy bro! Since you're in Tennessee, why don't you use the naturally cold weather in the winter to cool them down durring dormancy (put them in a cold garage with lights on a short photoperiod, or something similar)?

My Darlingtonia has fared quite well for several years without flowing water through the soil or using an air bubbler. I think the key is to use a fairly airy mix and to keep the pot shaded and cool. I do water in the top of the pot when I water though, and water flowing through the soil with a pump has proven to be beneficial for many growers
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safety Shears: What about growing Darlingtonia hydroponically with gravel or clay pebbles?
    n bicalcarata: I want to try growing darlingtonia with water being pumped through the pot too. How do you put your darlingtonia through dormancy since you pump water through the roots?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I was thinking of when I mentioned growing Darlingtonia hydroponically:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ght=hydroponic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast