Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking the plunge - My first Cephalotus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's small, but it looks healthy. They look so innocent at this size.

It might have been white stoneware. Was the ceramic dust the same color as the glaze or slightly darker? Porcelain is pure white, with almost no chemical impurities. It's practically the closest you can get to kaolinite without having the actual stone. Can you tell I spent too much time in the ceramics studio while in college?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm must be white stoneware, the dust was a tad more grey, not pure white. I wish I had spent more time in the ceramics studio! I was always in the drawing and painting rooms instead.

I do have a question about the cephalotus. When does it make leaves? Is it based upon season or age?
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! Everytime I have received a Cephalotus in the mail it has died back completely but always comes right back. So if you start losing pitchers don't worry!

Leaves are generally produced in the winter months, but can be produced throughout the entire year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is seasonal. Mine have started to make leaves. not sure if the trigger is lower temps or shorter days....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll look great in that pot. Good to see more people jump on the wick watering bandwaggon You should keep an eye on the moisture over time, as on rare occasion the mechanism can slow or stop working (very rarely), but overall it has been a very relyable method for me and I wouldn't do it any other way Healthy looking little plant
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine made a huge number of leaves during spring and seems to be pitchering heavily at the moment (summer). But, late winter happened to coincide with it getting mostly eaten by a blackbird so.... dunno.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking ceph and set up.

As for drilling ceramic get a tile bit. Goes through like butter. What I use on my ceramic pots.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    31drew31: I think even knowing it'll come back itll stilll freak me out if it does that!

Mach, do you grow your cephs indoors or out?

richjam1986: Thanks for the heads up! I'm really glad I went with the wick method. Over the last weeks I haven't had to do anything as far as watering and its kept a really consistant moisture level in the media. I love it! I think I'll be less likely to kill it this way. I've used wick water systems in the past for my regular garden that I made out of buckets. Its the best thing ever! I have one that I haven't touched in a year except for filling it two or three times and it just keeps growing.

elgecko: I asked around to see if anyone had a ceramic drill bit. My dad said he had a diamond tipped one but he coudn't find it. He said this one that I used is meant for tile, but I really have my doubts! It took way too long. But it was the best I coud get without going out and purchasing one. And I learned the virtue of patience hahaha ok, yeah next time I think I'll just spend the money!
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast