1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outside. Was high 40s in pre dawn hours

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brrrrrrrrr! It always throws me off when I walk outside of a building and its colder than the inside.
    You've probably got really good coniditions to grow cephs where you are. How long have you had yours? Any tips for me on keeping this guy happy?
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love them, not plant but sand. Sand looks like diamond. LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think I should take a cutting incase the plant dies? I'm hesitant because its still adjusting to its new home and its so small. There also isn't any leaves, there's only the pitchers which I read are sometimes harder to propagate than the leaves.

Anybody have experience in this?

Here's a picture of it this morning. All the lids have shut.
    Last edited by divaskid; 12-12-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by divaskid View Post
    Brrrrrrrrr! It always throws me off when I walk outside of a building and its colder than the inside.
    You've probably got really good coniditions to grow cephs where you are. How long have you had yours? Any tips for me on keeping this guy happy?
    Has been going for 3 years got as a leaf cutting. Not sure how well they grow in the full sun conditions in Kula. Made guesses that they might not be happy with all my UV light so i have them in the greenhouse protected from the sun and excessive UV light. Have them planted in a really coarse chunky media to be well drained and top dressed with live sphagnum and in a tray. occasional top watered... i sort of have broken all the rules. This is the ultimate YMMV plant. Hard to say how things will work out interactions with climate and person's growing style/conditions vary too much to make generalizations....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes , it looks like it neede to be wetter and maybe a small dome made from a clear plastic cup, you can put a small hole in it every few days till it acclimates , i keep my cephs very wet. just make sure not to top water to much or maybe not at all till you get used to what it needs.
    the lids will open again if you get it rehydrated.
    i never let my light period go much under 10 or 9 hours a day if mine are trying to drop the lids.
    mine is sleeping now but i even top water most of the time and keep a little live sphag around new ones till they are growing strong, just not touching the leaves or pitchers you can put it under the little dome for humidity, till the lids open back up. are you using any supplimental light?

here is a hummer that is sleeping, i grow regular and other varieties all the same.

hope you dont mind the pic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I welcome the pics! The more the merrier and good inspiration!

Thanks for the advice, I added a clear cup on top. Hopefully itll get the humidity back up until this cool dry spell we've had this past week goes away. As for the supplimental lighting, I don't have any because its growing outside, but I think I still fall within the 10 hours of sunlight where I live.

Can you describe a little more how you have the live sphag around the baby ones? I don't have any live sphagnum (tried forever to get the dead stuff to come alive, no luck), do you think the dried will work just as good?

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dried sphag will do fine. just soak it then make
    a small pile all around the ceph clump. then gently push your doam/plastic cup over the whole
    thing. make a hole in your cup after say three days. you can use a hole punch if you have one
    then again in a few more days. after you get 6 or 7 holes you can probably remove it just keep am eye on the lids. put the cup back if they drop for a while longer.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast