Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking the plunge - My first Cephalotus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um... Be carefull about baking it unter that cup. You don't want it in full sun outside if you're going to keep it under a cup. You may well cook it to death...

Cephs are very succeptable to transplant shock and will often drop their lids for several weeks after transplanting, so just give it time. You might want to consider bringing it inside in a windowsill or under artificial lights until it recovers some and starts puting on some good new growth, as outside conditions can be a bit harsh for a plant that is trying to acclimate. Let it get a leg up on the transplant shock first, and then move it outside. Just my two cents..

I wouldn't try to make any cuttings at that size. Wait for mature pitchers before you try that. I doubt immature pitchers would have much of a chance of striking, but I haven't tried it. I have found that pitchers make great cuttings, with a near 100% success rate for me.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here's a picture from day three. I've added some damp sphagnum around it, brought it inside and covered it with a cup to get the humidity up. It seems to be helping, about half of the pitchers have opened up again.

As you can see though, three of them have turned yellow. I'm guessing this may be due to some sphagnum and peat from the shipping getting into the pitchers? Since it was only these three that got some inside and its only these three that are yellowing. I'm not a hundred percent sure, but its my guess for now....

There's also a new pitcher showing up there in between the front two yellow pitchers. Here's to hoping it developes into a nice new one!
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks pretty good. Cute little guy.
    Brennan
    My growlist: http://bit.ly/VUE0ri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would have left it in the pot it came in until it had acclimatised. The plant will already be trying to acclimatise to different conditions and disturbing the root system will make that more difficult.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I did transfer it without disturbing the soil or roots, I think that leaving it in the pot it came in would've been a good idea. Next time around, I'll be doing that because I could've disturbed something that I didn't think I did.

Excellent suggestion!

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, here's a picture update:

Despite the three yellowing pitchers (two have shrunk to nothing already) it looks like its well on it way to recovering. I now have two more pitchers developing and the third one mentioned in the previous post is starting to get bigger. You can see it on the right hand side behind the front yellowing pitcher. Yay for new growth!

I've been watching these new ones develop and they've been growing much quicker than I expected. So I've started a stop motion video of their growth. Hopefully in a month I'll have a cool video to share

I was thinking of feeding one of the pitchers with something to kick start it a bit. Not sure if that would help or stress it out more. Any recommendations?

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not recommend feeding the pitcher with anything. The plant is just starting to recover, so best to leave it for now. At most, you could try a very dilute foliar feed spray, but I wouldn't. Keep an eye on that dried moss too, as it is probably doing nothing to help the plant but could potentially grow mold if the humidity is high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    I'll also keep my eye out for any mold as well.

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast