What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First seeds! S. alata "black tube" x S. flava rubricorpora

This past spring I got some Sarracenia flava rubricorpora pollen to use on my S. alata "black tube", and despite some initial problems - I had to pollinate the flowers as I was in the process of moving to Mississippi and my pollen got waterlogged in the cooler - I did end up getting some seeds, maybe like 60-70? I don't have much room (or expertise) to spout seeds though, so I gave most of the seeds to the pollen source and have about 25 for myself.

Right now they're stratifying outdoors, and I guess in a month and a half or so (is that right?) I'm going to move them where they can get some heat/sun so hopefully they'll spout.

Pitcher plant hybrid seeds stratifying

Should be an interesting cross if I get some plants from it!

I hope these do well for you. I'd really love to see this hybrid.

Should be some interesting plants in these. Good luck!

After about 6-8 weeks, then bring the pots into warmer temps. Or they'll be just fine stratifying all winter long too.

Cool! In about that time the weather will have warmed up a bit, so I can move them to where they'll get some sun and hopefully they'll sprout. What's a typical germination rate with Sarracenia? The majority of the seeds looked really good, there was one that was smaller and iffy-looking.

I can't find any information on this cross, so I think it might be the first time it's been attempted (or at least documented). I found a picture of a S. alata "red tube" x S. flava "red tube" though, so my plants might look something similar to this, but hopefully darker because of the purple (instead of red) alata mother:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/xedos666/SxAlataRedTubeXFlavaRedTube.jpg

Those should look pretty nice.

Yeah if they look anything like the ones linked to, I'll be stoked. An awesome combination I can think of would be the dark purple of the alata combined with the yellow lip and interior of the rubricorpora, but given that I only have 25 seeds, that combination's probably unlikely to pop up!

Sorrey for bringing up a old thread. This plant is very nice. At the BACP show I received a plant labeled as a alata black tube. After posting some pictures online, Phil F. Informed me that it was a cross he made back several years ago, a S. Alata black tube x flava var. rubricupalata. It is a awesome plant, and the tallest in my collection at the moment.

Sorrey for bringing up a old thread. This plant is very nice. At the BACP show I received a plant labeled as a alata black tube. After posting some pictures online, Phil F. Informed me that it was a cross he made back several years ago, a S. Alata black tube x flava var. rubricupalata. It is a awesome plant, and the tallest in my collection at the moment.
Would you be willing to share pictures of this?

Back