Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: An adventure in Sarracenia growing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Felt the need to post my ghetto reflector thingy:

thanks for teh inspiration. I hope that your seeds do well.

Totally clueless... Fish n Plants's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha you're welcome! I actually did the exact same thing when I had a fish tank Love it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish n Plants View Post
    That One Guy: According to the members here I got them from, they were all harvested recently.

kulamauiman: The temperature stays around 60-70 degrees F. I don't know how humid it is exactly, but when I stick my hand in it is definitely more humid than outside. Could this be the problem? I am getting algae, does that mean it's too humid?

Maybe a bit on the cold side for quick germination. Should still work just might take longer. Growing inside I have them in an area with 80-90 F conditions. Germination is rapid but with all things might push them too much and cause seedling death. So keep watching for about another week or so....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    Maybe a bit on the cold side for quick germination. Should still work just might take longer. Growing inside I have them in an area with 80-90 F conditions. Germination is rapid but with all things might push them too much and cause seedling death. So keep watching for about another week or so....
    Alright, I'll wait some more. If it doesn't work out, what are some inexpensive ways to heat seedlings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur with Mach. More heat and more humidity. At least 80F with high humidity. Mine always germ in 10 to 25 days if they are viable. The quicker you can get them to germ, the quicker they will outgrow algae and other death causing bacteria.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice! I'm going to look around at my seed heating options...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh bad news... Instead of using a seedling heat mat I tried to use a plastic tarp to keep everything warm, and it actually worked at first. A few days later, I open it up and like 10-20 fungus gnats flew out! I bet there are going to be more... any quick ways to get rid of them? I'm getting really discouraged...I didn't know it would be this hard

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my plants got fungus gnats I used the potato slice method for larva and then added a top layer of silica sand in all my pots (except the seed trays and bigger planters because I have more plants to put in them). I haven't seen but maybe less than ten gnats since then. With the potato slice method you just cut a strip of potato and stick it on the soil surface and the larva are attracted to it. There is more info about it online.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast