Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new to CP.. new to cephalotus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just got a ceph too and i'm terrified of it, lol, and i've had cp's for several years.
    So many plants...so little time

My grow list:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ody-s-Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ron,

read all those. problem is, it's rather hot here in NC with summer time temp up and over 100. winter is mild, but still it will drop below 20 here and there. i'm trying to keep the ceph in house. reading this forum, and others it seem to indicate that growing indoor works nice. i just have to try and see how much i can push. my indoor plants have life expectancy of about 3 months. the house is extremely dry. i do have hygrometer and it shows 45% RH. but not sure if that thing is working properly. i heard ceph will work best between 50-60% RH. so, if it's truly 45%, i'm sure i can some how accommodate the ceph by letting is sit in middle of large water pan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an awful lot of myths and disinformation around with regards to Cephalotus. Generally, I use the appearance of the plant pitchers as an indicator to its health. If the pitchers have a shine to them, then they are generally OK. If they start to look dull and limp, they are not. The latter generally indicates that the plant is either too dry (humidity, soil or both) or has been kept too wet and the roots have rotted!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just put about 1/4".. i guess that's about.. 7mm of water on the bottom of the dish and left the container there. i looked at the pitcher and the broad part with less hair is not that shinny, but the ridges are shinny enough. i misted it anyway since the moss was drying up again.

another question. not sure if you can see this, but one of the non-pitcher leave looks like it's got the surface scrapped. should i remove that leave?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a healthy looking plant. I wouldn't remove the damaged leaf, unless it's diseased.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These plants are a lot easier than most people rumor them to be. They key is confidence. If you're afraid of the plant then it will surely decline. If you believe you can grow it then it will thrive. One indicator I noticed with mine was that if the plant isn't getting enough water then the developing pitchers will turn a bright, fluorescent red, almost pink, and then go brown. I never let mine sit in standing water for more than a few hours and it's thriving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wire man,

i guess once i spend sometime with ceph, they will be come like figs. more or less take care of themselves. it's the initial part of getting that routine going is the hard part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mobile,

just noticed that you are from Aberdeenshire, Scotland. always wanted to visit Scotland. our band (pipes and drums) might be going there in next few years if we can manage to give good show in our area and maybe at the North America.. maybe.. then again, i do need to get back into playing. my pipes are collecting dust since my son started junior high.
    pete

"don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash." - sir winston churchill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast