Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ceph Hummer Giant leaf pulling strike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done! The faster response could have to do with the growth state (semi-dormant?) of the parent plant, its health, the day length, or some other factor. If you can reproduce the results with certainty, you may have identified a seasonal propagation tip!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Well done! The faster response could have to do with the growth state (semi-dormant?) of the parent plant, its health, the day length, or some other factor. If you can reproduce the results with certainty, you may have identified a seasonal propagation tip!
    Thank you all for your comments!

So many variables. The plant was semi-dormant as it was in the cold garage for winter. Also, the leaves were fairly new this time around and I was able to get a fair amount of stalk with the pullings as it was done while the plant was uprooted for dividing, so getting more of the stalk/rhizome with the pulling and using young leaves may play a major role also?

During the division of the mother plant in December, there was a piece that I accidently cut away from the rhizome and so I half-buried that rootless piece in soil with a little LFS around the base, put a dome over the top, set it in the cool garden window with only natural light through the window, and basically ignored it as I thought it would just rot away...and it started showing vigorous growth last month. From this, I think maybe any part of the plant is able to generate growth.

This is a poor pic of that rootless piece it as I took it through the dome:

[IMG][/IMG]

Haha, never toss or give up on any part of a CP is a lesson I am learning as sarracenia rootless rhizome pieces have produced plantlets for me also.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those results are very fast in my experience as well. Six months is more of the norm from what I've seen.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you don't mind me asking.. what was the room temp where it was kept?
    pete

"don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash." - sir winston churchill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    getting a piece of the rhizome makes a big difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics. I had been wondering about this lately, I have been thinking about this lately. I think I'm going to take a bunch of cuttings of my plant once it matures. I might want them to trade or giveaway. This is really encouraging. thnx

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet08 View Post
    if you don't mind me asking.. what was the room temp where it was kept?
    For the leaf pullings night temps 68-70 degrees, day temps 72-75 degrees, humidity around 35 to 50%. They are not in a controlled environment, just normal household conditions.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BioZest View Post
    Nice pics. I had been wondering about this lately, I have been thinking about this lately. I think I'm going to take a bunch of cuttings of my plant once it matures. I might want them to trade or giveaway. This is really encouraging. thnx
    Best results come from pulling leaves as opposed to cutting leaves. When you pull the leaf downward, you come away with a little of the stalk and that will give you a better chance at success. Good luck with yours!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast