What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia!

I've had a few plants in a tray for a couple of years so they could do with planting into a double tray as the others, that would look the same next year.

This is the new planting taken from a single gravel tray up to a double gravel tray. I have used several species of Sphagnum in the planting, we don't want boring monocultures do we :D

8536471973_69b452e987_b.jpg

8536472217_22d4e8ff83_b.jpg

Hello,

Darlingtonia country is supreme. These are not the best photos of Darlingtonia, but I think they give you an image of the habitat if you haven't visited.

Fist sized plants submerged by snowmelt, early spring:
darlingtonia1.jpg

The extraordinary Woodcock Bog. This site has so many plants in such a large area, it's hard to get an informative picture.
woodcockbog1.jpg

Another view:
woodcockbog2.jpg

My favorite swimming hole, still early spring (i.e., June), in southern Oregon:
swimminghole1.jpg

The same site:
swimminghole2.jpg

Wow! Great pics! Again its so awesome to see these plants in the wild.

Here are some more of mine, a bigger pitcher has sprouted up in the last couple weeks:

before new growth:

DSC00353_zps1eaf120a.jpg

during new growth:
DSC00653_zps86ae65ea.jpg

a little later:
DSC00673_zpsc3948c90.jpg

now:
DSC00694_zps2ada901b.jpg

DSC00690_zps138ffd9b.jpg

DSC00698_zps6696934b.jpg

DSC00703_zpsc581f09b.jpg

sorry about the grainyness...I took these tonight and I had to change the exposure.

This is a young Othello that emerged on May 16th.

8743544483_e6942a8e97_z.jpg

I've transfered the colony to a double tray over the past couple of days so here's the same plant after 3 months.

9537903682_30444abb77_o.jpg

Pretty fast ! Nice job :) and beautiful plant of course !

Fred and his pictures settle it for me. If my Darlingtonia don't survive long term here in Missouri I am moving to the UK.

Might as well contribute, no?

Here are mine as of today.

48a5eecb14e69a63187cdf13dd8b20ab_zpsed1c418e.jpg

c928a033408b86cac842777eab5d3008_zps0647b284.jpg

721d8a113ff48b99d100c8039b3c9ca5_zps0248342e.jpg

faf6aa2e9a9dcb1c3e79a7239103f070_zpsbe311be4.jpg

afa091763c34f8b37508a93fe0d34252_zps2f79e357.jpg

0be3a3daf4642f098023fcf1765e468a_zpsd2ea5695.jpg

6e7cb2376b5aa84616348ae7fde1af9e_zps44b947f4.jpg

2b0e90717701e49d494ebcb72e265d17_zps8d719544.jpg

Here's a shot I took of my potted Darlingtonia a couple days ago. This one grows outside in full sun, all day, every day, even in the middle of summer.

How do I deal with the roots overheating? Well, I don't. The roots get hot - just went and stuck my finger down into the soil and it felt about 85-90 degrees all the way through. But I do keep the roots oxygenated by having a small, solar-powered water pump that continually waters the plant as long as the sun is out. The water drains through the pot and then into a reservoir tank, where the pump is housed, and then it's pumped back over the plant again. I think the whole sensitivity issue with Darlingtonia is a matter of the roots being highly-oxygenated rather than just temperature. Warm water holds significantly less oxygen than cold water, and hot temperatures combined with stagnant water around the roots is what seems to give this species the most trouble. Cold nights seem essential to the longterm well-being of this species as well, and overnight lows here are typically in the 50s even in summer.

Here's a shot of my setup from two years ago when I first got the plant:

100% agreed with Natalie regarding the flowing water. I think you can get by with non-flowing water if you have the right temperatures, i.e. night time temperature drops like in CA or the UK. Here in Missouri we don't have such extreme drops. We only see about a 20 degree drop from our 85-90 degree day time averages during the summer. Despite the lack of night time temperature drop my Darlingtonia have put up new traps non-stop, and I really think this is thanks to my recirculating pump. I have seen root temperatures around the 90 degree mark with my arrangement.

Also, Natalie's plant looks awesome! I love the flared tongue sticking almost straight out.

I think you can get by with non-flowing water if you have the right temperatures, i.e. night time temperature drops like in CA or the UK. Here in Missouri we don't have such extreme drops. We only see about a 20 degree drop from our 85-90 degree day time averages during the summer.

What kind of nighttime drop do you think we get in the UK?

Now that you mention it, Fred, I don't know. I guess I assumed more than me judging by your plants vigorous growth. What are your average summer temps day and night?

Admittedly, all I know about British weather comes from chintzy Dickens-adaptation movies. :)

Indeed insightful, Fred. you have me second guessing my pump, but I am a scaredy cat.

Speaking of which I think I see my neighbors irksome cat on my deck... Near my plants.....

Where is my air soft gun?

Air gun? Its a joke i hope lol
Its a very stupid move and as i can read from you on tfs, you are not stupid.
I have 3 cats, and if a guy around here shoot my one of my cats, i will break his neck with my hands ;)

Air gun? Its a joke i hope lol
Its a very stupid move and as i can read from you on tfs, you are not stupid.
I have 3 cats, and if a guy around here shoot my one of my cats, i will break his neck with my hands ;)

Airsoft guns are toys Maiden. They fire plastic bbs at low velocity. I think your response is a little immoderate.

First, dont reply for him, i think he can do this by himself.

Next, someone mention here that his airgun was a toy before your post? NO
Whats next if the cat get a bullet in the eyes?

I know some crazy ppl who have killed cats with air gun.

Just saying here that he want shooting a cat with a air gun is STUPID, period.

This is an open thread. Are you saying I shouldn't reply to your comments?
If you wish to have a private conversation should you not use PM?

I think your response is a little immoderate. :-D

When i ask someone directly, i want a answer from that person. Its very basic.

Im not saying you cannot reply to my posts of course, but there are a difference between a comment, and speaking for someone.

EVEN if its a open thread.

Anyway, im out of this thread. Go shot a cat and have fun.

Last edited:
Indeed insightful, Fred. you have me second guessing my pump, but I am a scaredy cat.

Back to topic :D

Wouldn't it be possible for you to try a small plant in a tray? I'd be interested in your results.

Back