Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty fast ! Nice job :-) and beautiful plant of course !

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fred and his pictures settle it for me. If my Darlingtonia don't survive long term here in Missouri I am moving to the UK.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might as well contribute, no?

Here are mine as of today.

Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a shot I took of my potted Darlingtonia a couple days ago. This one grows outside in full sun, all day, every day, even in the middle of summer.

How do I deal with the roots overheating? Well, I don't. The roots get hot - just went and stuck my finger down into the soil and it felt about 85-90 degrees all the way through. But I do keep the roots oxygenated by having a small, solar-powered water pump that continually waters the plant as long as the sun is out. The water drains through the pot and then into a reservoir tank, where the pump is housed, and then it's pumped back over the plant again. I think the whole sensitivity issue with Darlingtonia is a matter of the roots being highly-oxygenated rather than just temperature. Warm water holds significantly less oxygen than cold water, and hot temperatures combined with stagnant water around the roots is what seems to give this species the most trouble. Cold nights seem essential to the longterm well-being of this species as well, and overnight lows here are typically in the 50s even in summer.

Here's a shot of my setup from two years ago when I first got the plant:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100% agreed with Natalie regarding the flowing water. I think you can get by with non-flowing water if you have the right temperatures, i.e. night time temperature drops like in CA or the UK. Here in Missouri we don't have such extreme drops. We only see about a 20 degree drop from our 85-90 degree day time averages during the summer. Despite the lack of night time temperature drop my Darlingtonia have put up new traps non-stop, and I really think this is thanks to my recirculating pump. I have seen root temperatures around the 90 degree mark with my arrangement.
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, Natalie's plant looks awesome! I love the flared tongue sticking almost straight out.
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbennett4041 View Post
    I think you can get by with non-flowing water if you have the right temperatures, i.e. night time temperature drops like in CA or the UK. Here in Missouri we don't have such extreme drops. We only see about a 20 degree drop from our 85-90 degree day time averages during the summer.
    What kind of nighttime drop do you think we get in the UK?
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that you mention it, Fred, I don't know. I guess I assumed more than me judging by your plants vigorous growth. What are your average summer temps day and night?

Admittedly, all I know about British weather comes from chintzy Dickens-adaptation movies.
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast