Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ceph Division Needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ceph Division Needed

I thought I could wait until next Fall to divide this cluster up but all four in this pot are producing pitchers like crazy. Is there any advice against doing a Spring division?
    C. follicularis #1
    04-01-2013

C. follicularis #4 (From a pitcher cutting)
    02-23-2013

03-16-2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not let it keep growing larger and larger? It looks great but I think they look nicest in a big large clump.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, I guess I would like several separate ones rather than one colony. I need to either move to a larger container or divide. Can anyone comment on whether making big changes should be done in the Fall only or any time of the year. The plants in this pot have been growing and pitchering rapidly since I got it last Fall. For the record, I got this from the eBay seller claiming that name tags were lost or missing hinting that they could be a giant form, I'm not experienced enough to make that call but I can say that the pitchers are approaching the 2" range. Is there a physical difference between the typical form and others besides size?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it does not sound like you put the plant through any kind of dormancy,as you say it has grown and pitchered well since last autumn,so i can not see what difference it makes when you divide ,if i were in your situation i would repot into a nice big pot and try not to disturb the roots too much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a thread recently on CPUK about this and there wasnt a definite answer when the best time was. I try to repot most plants as they are going into their growing season, but have repotted Cephs year round. They are also not as finicky as they are made out to be when it comes to root disturbance (at least in my experience).

Im not too experienced when it comes to naming clones or not but I wouldn't label it as a giant form quite yet, 2" pitchers aren't uncommon on typical plants.

I posted a thread a while back when I was repotting some plants. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ing-Cephalotus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky1 View Post
    For the record, I got this from the eBay seller claiming that name tags were lost or missing hinting that they could be a giant form, I'm not experienced enough to make that call but I can say that the pitchers are approaching the 2" range. Is there a physical difference between the typical form and others besides size?
    There are some physical differences between some forms. However, while they might be able to be used to rule out an incorrect cultivar name, they cannot be used for your desired purpose (to give a name to an unknown plant). The only way to know for certain that you have a specific cultivar is to procure your plants from reliable sources and ideally have a traceable path back to the original owner.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)