Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sudden issue with cephalotus watering methods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantea View Post
    Mikey, I do have some seedlings I can experiment with... Guess I will put them in a tray and see what happens before trting It with the bigger ones. I don't think I can put then in LFS, it gets too hot here for that. They get up to 90* just in my window. I used to spray mist them but then I read not to if your humidity is high.
    . <<
    If you are growing on a windowsill that gets hot, I hope your growing container is WHITE, because if the soil mass heats up at all, you will have very unhappy Cephalotus in no time. They want full sun (if possible), but cool damp roots, so you have to avoid heating the soil at all costs. I grow in heavy white glazed ceramic pots, which prevent the soil from heating up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they are in plastic... That hest exposure doesn't last long and I think some of that best is my probe exaggerating when the direct sun hits it. Based on experience in kitchens I would say its 85* when I out my hand in that area.

I did have them both under lights for a
    while, but one starting looking unhappy cause I can't get the humidity high enough close to the lights. Got lids drooping. Think the light is too mucj for them so I moved them to a SW window that gets good sun from about 2-6pm.

Perhaps the heat and moisture was the issue?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    The top soil may look dry, just make sure it has good drainage and not water logged at the bottom. That what happened to mine....
    Check out this link:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...9931-Ceph-pics

I know some people suggest not top watering cephs, been watering that way since 2001 and never had any issues with my plants. Pics in the link above should prove that.
    I've had mine standing in water trays since 1983
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantea View Post
    Well, they are in plastic... That hest exposure doesn't last long and I think some of that best is my probe exaggerating when the direct sun hits it.

Perhaps the heat and moisture was the issue?
    OK, but what color are the plastic pots?? If they are black, brown or dark green, that is not ideal. It can lead to excessive heating of the soil, which is what really matters. These are basically swamp-dwelling plants, and they have a nearly continuous seeping of cool water through their root zone, so keeping them on the dry side is not the answer.

If you haven't already read the detailed cultivation notes on this page, I suggest you do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, so I wonder if the problem was that they got too dry... And now gettimg wet again Is hurting them. Pots are dark green.... I have never seen any white ones for sale I can buy.

http://www.foxoles.dsl.pipex.com/cephalotusfollim.html

It can't be that hard... I have no way of really doing that. O.o

All I know for sure is that if I lose these... I am adding cephalotus to my "blacklist" of plants to not grow again. << So far I have Heliamphora and the genus Gibbaeum on there. Hehe.
    Last edited by Gigantea; 05-10-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its difficult to find plastic pots in white, which is why I opted for ceramics. If the soil got warm AND dry at the same time, that could kill the roots in hours, and if that happens, you will have a very hard time reviving the plant. Cool, damp roots at all times!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, okay. Think I should probably acclimate them to the tank my nepenthes is in then... That one is a very controlled max of 77* during the day and receives a larger night drop. Also has the humidity it may need.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I come with pics:

Larger one is harder to see the damage on... But that biggest open pitcher's lid began to yellow last night. There's also a smaller one that is basically rotted near the back right beside the large closed pitcher.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast