Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sudden issue with cephalotus watering methods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahaha I think that's what you'll come to understand with any CP. There is no "best" method, just a lot of different methods that work. Elgecko's plants look fantastic and I can't argue with those results.

I guess I was a little confused on how dry you let it get. Regardless of whether you use the tray method you never want to let the soil completely dry out. Do you know what your humidity is when the temps reach 90? I find they don't enjoy temps beyond ~85 but they've definitely survived in multiple 100+ days over the course of a week during the summer. I would definitely experiment around with the tray method, various media, and putting a few in your Nepenthes tank - find out what's best for you!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The humidity tends to be between 70-80%. I think I'll move one back into the nep tank although initially I had it in there a few months when I first got it and never got any carnivorous leaves from it until I moved it under stronger light. I might have had it close enough either. Any idea what the ideal lumen level for a ceph is cause I have a lux meter?
    Last edited by Gigantea; 05-11-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the top photo is any indicator, your soil is way too dry ( the moss appears to be bone dry!). You should consider using a mix that contains close to 30% coarse sand (that's what I use). Have you read about Charles Brewer's mix? He has been growing this genus for decades and is very successful at it.

By the way, I've had no trouble growing Cephalotus by watering from above, but I believe you have to have conditions exactly right if you do this. This is my oldest plant (two years in my care, from a wee starter plant) as it looks today:
    [IMG]http://**************************************/2013/05/20130511-085736.jpg[/IMG]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantea View Post
    The humidity tends to be between 70-80%. I think I'll move one back into the nep tank although initially I had it in there a few months when I first got it and never got any carnivorous leaves from it until I moved it under stronger light. I might have had it close enough either. Any idea what the ideal lumen level for a ceph is cause I have a lux meter?
    Cephalotus follicularis typically grows in a range of lighting situations, from blazing full sun, to dappled shade. That should be all you need to know to make an assessment :-)

Oh, and were you aware that this plant responds to seasonal triggers that determine whether it produces trap leaves or non-trap leaves? So, if you witnessed your plant making plain leaves for a time, it was likely because your growing conditions provided a trigger to tell the plant it was winter, and to go into its semi-dormant growth phase. Moving the plant around from location to location, and changing its light and day length can trigger this response. Just FYI. (Hint: leave it in one place for six months or more in order to let it establish a relationship with those conditions. Changing a plant's environment frequently is not going to do it any favors)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I know moving it around isn't good... But I have to in order to find what it likes. <<

I have put it into my nep tank for now... Tried it get it as far away from the lights as possible until It adjusts. I took a small baking pan, filled it with a layer of rinsed pea pebbles, stood the pots on that, then put just enough water in to cover the bottom rim. At, some point I will need a larger tank to do this properly as it is a little tight.

Sound better? I do agree that this is a bog plant but I think the reason I never trayed is because back when I first got it everything I found told me to not do that. But clearly top watering isn't working for me too well. How long should I wait to refill the trays?

Regarding the soil mix. Actually, yes, I read that yesterday as a matter of fact. I don't much want to mess with the soil right now, but if I can get them growing better I would like to play around with it a bit. I don't have anywhere that sells medium or course perlite; best I have is Fertalome from a garden center. The coir and wood charcoal I have never seen anywhere. I am planning on going out in a bit so maybe I can stop by and see if Home Depot has charcoal. I assume hardwood charcoal? My nepenthes is actually in an orchid mix with LFS added and seems to love it.

New setup for scrutinizing:

Thanks all for the inputs.
    Last edited by Gigantea; 05-11-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whim: WOaw ! One of the nicest ceph i ever seen ! Nice job! The center look compact, the fresh air reach that area? Or you will need to make some divisions for aeration?

For myself, i grow my ceph in a highland terra (16C nights / 24C days) with 85% RH.
    And i water from the top once a month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gigantea: nice cephs too, indeed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres what mine looked like before they lost a bunch of stuff:

Easier to see the difference, eh?