Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Big Move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry 'bout the double post, but I had to update. Yesterday I began heating the tank. I will also do that today, and tomorrow I will bring the little guy upstairs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day 1 upstairs:
    The plant has been moved upstairs onto the first floor which gets less sun. I will be carefully studying it for signs of stress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update #2: Some good news and some bad news.

Let's start optimistically. The biggest growth point is sending up two new little-hairy-knob-buds and looking good overall.

The buds on the bigger plant:

Part of the bad news is that the one and only pitcher on that point is dying. I have decided not to cut it off (until the brown spots spreads to the stem) because it is partially green and photosynthesizing.

Pitcher on the bigger plantling:

The other bad news is that the other growth point is doing badly. It is now only one little leaf and no signs of new buds. Please help me save it; I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

The dead pitcher on the smaller one:

TY

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the highly prized Cephalotus follicularis. Growers pride themselves on owning one! Unfortunately, they are not easy (i.e. Drosera capensis "easy") to grow. I do notice that your plant has no terrarium. Cephalotus is an Australian plant--they don't call it the Australian pitcher plant for nothing. It'll need high humidity, but increase it in increments, and slowly. It must get used to things.

And don't worry about feeling naive! We've all felt like that before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @plant planter: I am aware that cephalotus requires some humidity, and if you look at the first page of the thread you'll see that I am taking the ceph out of a terrarium in an attempt to take it out of a long dormancy. I have heard that many people have had succes in growing these plants in windowsills outside of a terrarium and I am going to try my hand at it. Thanks for your advice though.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome. Forums are especially made for exchanging information, and with the Internet it's no problem. Thankfully we don't need a couple weeks to deliver the news "Cephalotus need high humidity!" and then your plant's dead already.

By the way, it's probably a smart choice to keep its relative humidity low while it's waking up. After all, it's not expecting any high humidity.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mine in a windowsill and don't pay any attention to humidity. I also put them out in the unheated garage in a window over winter, where they experience temps down into the mid 40s, for a winter "rest."

It is hard to say what is causing your little guy to fail. I have had successful strikes putting pulls in soil in the pot with the mother plant, but most of my successes are using wet LFS. Perhaps yours needs a more moist medium?

I put my leaf/pitcher pulls in a shallow container of wet LFS and put about 10-12" from a shop light with two 40-watt cool white bulbs on a 12-hour light cycle, no terrarium, just normal household conditions. Sometimes I don't see strikes until the leaf pull is brown and shriveled. I wait until they have a few leaves on them or a couple pitchers started before I pot them up and move them to the windowsill. I have found them very sensitive at this point, so need to be careful transplanting them. Otherwise, they have been a very easy CP for me to grow.

Regia on the other hand hate me, go figure, haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update #3.

I unearthed the smaller plant to check for any new buds, and didn't find anything promising.

It seems unlikely that it will send anything else up to revive itself.

The bigger plantlet is responding much better, though. Like I said last update, it is sending up two new buds. One of them is a leaf, so the plant must be convinced it is spring, as I was hoping. At least I will have one division.

I pulled the old pitcher off the bigger plant BTW.

Any more advice? mah baby seems to be happy now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12